Thursday 13 June 2013

Throwback Thursday #87 - Etiquette and Espionage


This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while which looks at those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves that we haven't got round to reading yet...
  
This month I wanted to look at something different and thought I'd have a look at some books that I have picked up more recently - before they get buried in my TBR pile.

Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger
Publisher: Atom
Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners—and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.
But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage—in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

I really enjoyed Gail Carriger Parasol Protectorate so I pre-ordered this as soon as I could. It arrived a couple of months ago and I haven't had time to pick up - yet. There is something really fascinating about manners mixed with spying that appeals to me! :-)
 

6 comments:

  1. I loved the P&P series but I wasn't sure if I would like E&E. I actually really enjoyed it! Gail is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really liked this one, but I haven't read the adult series yet. :P Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one and I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to hear what you think of this one. There are a few who thought it was good but not as great as her adult series. I've still got to start the adult series yet. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one recently and I loved it- it far exceeded all my expectations of it. It's so funny and very clever, and almost like finding a new Harry Potter series.
    Yeah... read it!

    ReplyDelete