Saturday 15 June 2013

Novella Review: Spartan Frost

Spartan Frost (Mythos Academy #4.5)
Jennifer Estep
Kindle Book
Review Copy Courtesy of Netgalley and Jennifer Estep
 I’m Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was — until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost. Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I’m fine, that Loki and the Reapers don’t have a hold on me anymore, but I can’t risk it. I can’t risk hurting Gwen again. So I’m leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away. I know Gwen wonders what’s happening to me, whether I’m safe. I can’t tell her, but this is my story...
After the tragic ending of Crimson Frost, Logan, Spartan and sometime beau of Gwen Frost has left Mythos Academy and returned home with his Dad to ensure that neither he nor the evil god Loki, hurt Gwen again. He is determined that the Reapers of Chaos pay for their actions and is spending much of his time training while avoiding other people. Logan has been damaged by recent events which hurt him and those he loved and is struggling to come to terms with what happened to him. This is quite a short novella but allows us to explore the view point of another character in Gwen’s world.  
It was nice to see inside Logan’s head for a change and how he really cares about Gwen and his friends. The nightmares he experiences are horrific and it must be terrible to live with that knowledge and learn to trust yourself again. It is nice to see Logan and his father try to build a relationship after so long estranged – especially as it feels like they are more equal than before. Logan and his father also chase after some Reapers that are stealing artifacts from museums and what they find is intriguing but never really resolved. The end is quite abrupt and pulls back into Mythos Academy (and presumably the next book!) so I was left wanting more than what I got – and hungry for the next book, Midnight Frost.
Recommended for fans of Kelley Armstrong & Richelle Mead. 7 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one, it was a nice short read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a novella for me since I have not read the series ;)

    ReplyDelete