Sunday 20 January 2013

My Book Haul / Showcase Sundays

This is Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday where I share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

This week has been snowed filled here in London...it's settled and looks very pretty - even if it is very cold! I've also made the decision that while I won't be placing myself on a book buying ban at the moment, I need to restrict the number of books coming into the flat! At the minimum I need to ensure my floor will  support me as well as all the books! So I'm going to try and make sure that the number of books coming into the flat is less than the number of books I read that week.
This week I finished reading Sealed With A Curse by Cecy Robson - a great new UF series starting there (Review here), She Returns from War by Lee Collins - Buffy meets the Wild West and a lot of fun! and Grave Dance by Kalayna Price - another strong UF series that I loved! That's three books down and only two review books arrived so I'm on track at the moment!

Received For Review

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green
Publisher: Penguin
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at Cancer Kid Support Group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


After what happened with Mum I know this is going to be a hard book to read but I also know it's one I have to read.

Black Feathers - Joseph D'Lacey
Publisher: Angry Robot (Published March 2013)
The Black Dawn, a time of environmental apocalypse, and generations into the future in its aftermath, the Bright Day. In each era, a child undertakes a perilous journey to find a dark messiah known as The Crowman. In their hands lies the fate of the planet as they attempt to discover whether The Crowman is our saviour… or the final incarnation of evil.

Angry Robot publish some of the more intriguing books I've read over the last couple of years and the idea of a story set over two vastly different time periods sounds interesting...

So what have you picked up this week?

20 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very sensible book haul policy :)
    Snap for Fault in Our Stars- I got that this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read the John Green one. I have had it for ages. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I really want to read The Fault in Our Stars! I've heard soso many good things about it. Great haul :)

    I admire your sense of self-restraint. I have absolutely no willpower and went absolutely crazy on Netgallery this week as you can see from my Showcase Sunday haha: http://www.whats--hot.com/2013/01/whats-hot-books_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had The Fault in our Stars on my shelf for a while, I have read that is a very emotional book which as you said might be quite hard to read right now. I'm sending tonnes of hugs you're way Mel, it's good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to echo everyone above me - The Fault In Our Stars is on my wishlist, I've heard so many good things about it!

    We have snow here too (I'm in Hampshire), we had loads on Friday and it's started up again this morning, i hope I won't be snowed in, though the snow gives me a great excuse to stay in the warm with a book :)

    My Showcase Sunday: http://readinginthesunshine.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/showcase-sunday-2/

    Hope you have a lovely Sunday,
    Megan xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fault in our stars is a book I can't wait to read. Happy reading :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great policy! Black Feathers sounds really interesting, and I'm definitely going to have to check out She Returns from War from that description.

    My Showcase Sunday is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the Fault in Our Stars form the Library, I have been warned to have a mega box of tissues! Haha. I really hope you enjoy it!

    Here's My Showcase Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh great book haul! The Fault in Our Stars was an interesting book! everyone warned me that i would cry my eyes out but i didn't drop a single tear, surprising since I am such a cry baby. Hope you enjoy it!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read these ones but I hope you'll like them! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a serious book buying problem and should really limit the amount I buy every week. I just can't help it! Your idea sounds good but I know I'd break that rule straight away haha!

    Great haul. I love Angry Robots books. I'm hoping a copy of Black Feathers will come in the post sometime this week but the snow here in Wales is so bad, so fingers crossed! Enjoy your new books :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/showcase-sunday-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh Black Feathers looks good! I love Angry Robot books too :-)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars but everyone says its amazing!

    Here's my Showcase Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh the Angry Robot book looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great books :D Sigh. I just read The Fault in our Stars in December, and again in January. It was so damn perfect. One of the best books. I hope you'll enjoy it. <3 :)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must read The Fault In Our Stars! Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Huge huge hugs to you, girl! I agree about Angry Robot - they have some really interesting books, and I was tempted to request this one. Alas, I've got one book too many to read and AR always hit and miss for me. Glad you really enjoyed Sealed with a Curse and Grave Dance - both boos on my TBR ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, Black Feathers looks familiar, but I can't place it. Loving the cover. Thanks for sharing these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still haven't read anything by John Green - I really need to do that! And I've heard lots of good things about The Fault In Our Stars, so it's definitely on my tbr list.

    My 'Letterbox Love' post of books is here.

    ~Ailsa @The Book Bundle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great plan! I haven't really bought any books for quite a while but for some odd reason I still end up getting way more than what I can read each week 0___0 (not that I'm complaining :D)

    I hope you enjoy the John Green book! I got it a few months ago and will try to pick it up soon <3

    ReplyDelete