Wednesday 21 November 2012

The Viscount and The Witch: Novella Review

The Viscount and The Witch (The Riyria Chronicles Short)
Michael J. Sullivan

Kindle Book

Eleven years before they were framed for the murder of a king, before even assuming the title of Riyria, Royce Melborn and Hadrian Blackwater were practically strangers. Unlikely associates, this cynical thief and idealist swordsman, were just learning how to work together as a team. 

This is a short story set long before the start of the books shortly after Royce and Hadrian have met and are still getting to know each other. I’ve not read the books – although certain bloggers I trust have raved about them so I thought this novella would be a nice introduction to the world to see if I wanted to start the series proper. The short answer is, yes I do!

Royce and Hadrian are fun characters – very different but are learning to trust each other. Each is intelligent and good at what they do. When a bedraggled old woman stops them on the path and asks for their help to evict a drunk from her barn Royce agrees to help, much to Hadrian disgust. After all it’s nothing to do with them. The writing is quick-witted and fun; you can glimpse how much Michael Sullivan likes writing about these characters. While this  a very short story it is a perfect appetiser and I want to know more!  

Recommended for fans of David Eddings and Robin Hobb. 8 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Are you trying to get me into a new series? Hm... maybe I'll try this novella and see if I also want more after. Appetizers.. yes. :)

    ReplyDelete