Tuesday 13 November 2012

Same Book/Different Cover - Furies of Calderon

This is an occasional feature where I compare different covers of the same book...while usually I compare foreign edition, this particular book has be re-published so many times if I included all the copies we could be here all night! So what's the book this month?

This month I'm looking at one of my favourite Fantasy books - The Furies of Calderon by the fabulous Jim Butcher. The Codex Alera series is one of the best contained and epic fantasy series I've ever read. Each book is a complete story in itself but builds towards a fantastic arc. Seriously, I can't recommend this series enough. But which cover of book one would you like..?

US Cover
UK Cover

German Cover
Italian Cover

US Cover: An action scene of a guy with a sword attacked by by some air-born spirits - it screams action and excitement

UK Cover: This is bright and attractive showing the links of Calderon with the Roman Empire and the symbol/rune bathed in flames is just cool

German Cover: This is very green - in fact it reminds me more of a Robin Hood poster or possibly Green Arrow with the shadowy guy with the long bow in the middle of the forest. I do like the Codex Alera shield though!

Italian Cover: The woman floating above the water reminds me of various YA covers I've seen recently...it doesn't really show much of what the story is about. 

My Verdict? The UK Cover - I love the colours and the rune! 

Which cover is your favourite...? Why?

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm with you. The UK cover is the best. I also like the German one, but it may have not caught my attention as much if I saw it in a bookstore or library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the Italian but yeah I have seen that cover around before

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I'm in love with the german cover, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete