Friday 30 November 2012

Mel's Random November

So this month  was another hard month for me personally - and its not getting any easier. Massive apologies again for lack of comments - I still visit but just don't have the time to comment much any more. We don't celebrate thanksgiving here in the UK but in the spirit this month I just want to say a massive thanks to all my friends - both in person and online. You guys keep me going when it would be easier to curl up in the corner. 

One thing I did enjoy this week was a walk around Crystal Palace park with a friend. The park is a little oasis in South London with all sorts of surprises...including dinosaurs by a lake and Sphinxes overlooking the city...


Mysterious Sphinx, innit?
Who you looking at?



















So how does this impact the reading situation?

Books
A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness (British Books Challenge)
The Song of the Quarkbeast - Jasper Fforde (British Books Challenge)
Snuff - Terry Prachett (British Book Challenge)
Hunting Lila - Sarah Alderson (British Book Challenge & TBR Reading Pile Challenge)
The Declaration - Gemma Malley (British Book Challenge)
Devils Punch (Corine Solomon #4) - Ann Aguirre
The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Myles (British Book Challenge)

Ebooks
The Dead of Winter - Lee Collins
Jinx (Bigtime Superheroes #3) - Jennifer Estep (TBR Reading Pile Challenge)
Mr Real - Carolyn Crane
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin (TBR Reading Pile Challenge)

Audio Reviews
Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart

Novella
The Viscount and The Witch - Michael J Sullivan

Sarah's Reviews
The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3) - Patricia Briggs

Regular Posts
Same Book/Different Cover looked at The Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher this month while Book Confessions looked at how to juggle what books to read.

In addition there were the usual Throwback Thursdays and I introduced Waiting on Wednesdays, I also started my book buying ban and tracked how I did with that!

So updating the challenges -
British Books Challenge - 36 Read
2012 TBR Reading Pile Challenge - 38 Read




Best of the Bunch: A Game of Thrones was my favourite read this month! 



Honourable Mentions: The Girl You Left Behind, A Monster Calls and Is It Just Me? A real mixture of favourite reads this month!


So what was your month like? :-)


8 comments:

  1. ((HUGS))

    Oh I love the pics of the park. I'd go walking there anytime. :)

    Btw, another international giveaway... to help with the ban. Oh and you SO have me wanting Game of Thrones even more than I did before. I did spy the first books in a special box.... you are going to make me have a book buying ban! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you have such a difficult month Mel! I hope December and the new year treat you much better:) I recently read Hunting Lila and loved that one, I still need to read Losing Lila though - I'm so far behind on so many series! One of these days I'll catch up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That sphinx is amazing. I was the parks around here had that. I'm a major egypt fan so just wow! :D

    Someday I wanna read Game of Thrones. It looks awesome! :)

    Here is my best of the bunch!

    ~Stephanie @ Bookfever

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would really love Game of Thrones if I read it- but it's so BIG!
    A Monster Calls is another book I just love.
    I hope you have a happier December Mel :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that in 1 hour it will be December 0_0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big hugs, sweetheart x Hope December will be easier on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're ok Mel, I'm sending lots of hugs your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope December is a better month for you personally, and yay for finding some escape in good books. I loved Game of Thrones - I'm hoping to start the 4th book soon and finish off the series before he releases the next book.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete