Sunday 18 November 2012

Book Buying Ban Week 2 + Showcase Sunday

Week two of my buying ban and I have continued to walk past book shops, not glanced at the book shelves in the supermarkets and successfully managed to not click add to basket on Amazon and other sites! I think that is called will-power so yay me! :-)

However, that doesn't mean that no books arrived in my flat this week - some fantastic looking review books showed up! So despite the ban, here is my Showcase Sunday!

I've decided to join Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday to share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

The Farm - Emily McKay
Publisher: UK - Penguin
Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…
And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.
Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…
Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race...

The Farm isn't published until February but this looks fantastic! The Arc copy I have looks fantastic and the idea that one of the characters is called Mel means I really want to read this!

The Declaration - Gemma Malley
The Resistance - Gemma Malley
The Legacy - Gemma Malley
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Anna Covey is a ‘Surplus’. She should not have been born. In a society in which ageing is no longer feared, and death is no longer an inevitability, children are an abomination. Like all Surpluses, Anna is living in a Surplus Hall and learning how to make amends for the selfish act her parents committed in having her. She is quietly accepting of her fate until, one day, a new inmate arrives. Anna’s life is thrown into chaos. But is she brave enough to believe this mysterious boy?
A tense and utterly compelling story about a society behind a wall, and the way in which two young people seize the chance to break free.

The lovely people at Bloomsbury sent me through this whole trilogy in celebration of the release of the final book in the trilogy, The Legacy. I've already read The Declaration and I have to admit I really enjoyed it - I can't wait to finish the series!

Bryant and May and The Memory of Blood - Christopher Fowler
Publisher: Bantam
For the crew of the New Strand Theatre, the play The Two Murderersseems less performance than prophecy when a cast party ends in the shocking death of the theater owner’s son. The crime scene is most unusual, even for Bryant and May. In a locked bedroom without any trace of fingerprints or blood, the only sign of disturbance is a gruesome life-size puppet of Mr. Punch laying on the floor. Everyone at the party is a suspect, including the corrupt producer, the rakish male lead, the dour set designer, and the assistant stage manager, who is the wild daughter of a prominent government official. It’s this last fact that threatens the Peculiar Crimes Unit’s investigation, as the government’s Home Office, wary of the team’s eccentric methods, seeks to throw them off the case. But the nimble minds of Bryant and May are not so easily deterred. Delving into the history of the London theater and the disturbing origins of Punch and Judy, the detectives race to find the maniacal killer before he reaches his even deadlier final act.  

This was a win from Goodreads & Transworld publishers. I love this series anyway so I was very happy to get a copy!

So that's my week...What did you pick up?


9 comments:

  1. That reminds me that I've still got "The Declaration" lurking on my Kindle ... so I guess I better get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Farm does sound good doesn't it? I do however keep thinking of the song "Altogether Now" when I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I love the covers of the Gemma Malley books, I'm curious now!!!! Happy reading darling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy reading :) I have seen the Gemma books, or book, at the library

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on sticking to your ban, Mel! and great reads this week! I can't wait to read The Farm as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your book win.
    I like the new Gemma Malley covers- very striking!
    Have a good week Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Farm sounds like a great read, I've not heard of it before. I really love the new covers for Gemma Malley. I have The Deceleration waiting to be read, but with the old cover.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been seeing The Farm in a lot of different places, It sounds like a really good book. I hope you enjoy everything you got this week.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete