Saturday 1 September 2012

On My Wishlist #100


This is a meme that started on Book Chick City before moving to Cosy Books and is now hosted by the wonderful Sarah at Workaday Reads. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week there's a distinctly milatry theme...
 
Control Point - Myke Cole
Publisher: Headline
Across the country and in every nation, people are waking up with magical talents. Untrained and panicked, they summon storms, raise the dead, and set everything they touch ablaze.
Army officer Oscar Britton sees the worst of it. A lieutenant attached to the military's Supernatural Operations Corps, his mission is to bring order to a world gone mad. Then he abruptly manifests a rare and prohibited magical power, transforming him overnight from government agent to public enemy number one.
The SOC knows how to handle this kind of situation: hunt him down--and take him out. Driven into an underground shadow world, Britton is about to learn that magic has changed all the rules he's ever known, and that his life isn't the only thing he's fighting for.
 
How much of a hard-nut does Oscar Britton look in the cover - I wouldn't want to cross him! The description of Black Hawk Down crossed with the X-Men just makes me want to know more!
 
Blades of Winter - G.T. Almasi
Publisher: Del Ray
Nineteen-year-old Alix Nico, a self-described “million-dollar murder machine,” is a rising star in ExOps, a covert-action agency that aggressively shields the United States from its three great enemies: the Soviet Union, Greater Germany, and the Nationalist Republic of China. Rather than risk another all-out war, the four superpowers have poured their resources into creating superspies known as Levels.
Alix is one of the hottest young American Levels. That’s no surprise: Her dad was America’s top Level before he was captured and killed eight years ago. But when an impulsive decision explodes—literally—in her face, Alix uncovers a conspiracy that pushes her to her limits and could upset the global balance of power forever.
 
Another girl I wouldn't want to cross! I'm not sure exactly what superpowers Levels have but I want to find out!
 
Valor's Choice - Tanya Huff
Publisher: DAW
In the distant future, humans and several other races have been granted membership in the Confederation -- at a price. They must act as soldier/protectors of the far more civilized races who have long since turned away from war....
 
I like Tanya Huff's contemporary work so I am curious about her milatry science fictions...
 
So are you wishing for any men in uniforms in your books? :-)

4 comments:

  1. Those books all look pretty cool :)

    And I would not say no to a man in a uniform

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have the first two books on my wishlist too. They look fun and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I don't believe you are wishing for men IN uniforms... out of, I believe, but not in... ;)

    Second... OoooOOOO Blades of Winter. I think I want to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blades of Winter was awesome! I hope you get a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete