Thursday 28 June 2012

Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk #1.5) Review

Spider’s Lullaby (Deacon Chalk #1.5)
- James R Tuck

Kindle Book – received courtesy of the author (Out now!)

He lives to kill monsters. He keeps his city safe. And his silver hollow-points and back-from-the-dead abilities take out any kind of unnatural threat. But between this bad-ass bounty hunter and rescuing the most helpless of victims stands the one evil he can't defeat...
For Deacon Chalk, loyalty is worth dying for. And now that something has taken were-spider Charlotte's un-hatched children and one of his closest friends, he'll tear up the human and supernatural underworlds to find them. But with his allies stripped away by an invincible Yakuza hit man and time running out, Deacon must face down the most ancient of demonic entities. And his last hope means surrendering to the inner darkness waiting hungrily to consume him...

I have to admit I think I have a slight crush on the imposing, tattooed monster hunter Deacon Chalk. He is fiercely protective of his friends and innocents, scarily intimidating and yet he’s a good catholic and prepared for anything. After a night out with Deacon discover that his were-spider friend, Charlotte’s egg-sack has been stolen. Even worse, it is due to hatch soon and when it does without Charlotte around, the baby spiders will kill and devour all around them. They have until dawn to find out who took the egg-sack and why…

Once again Deacon Chalk is confident and strong in his actions and leading others. As the story is told from his point of view we get to see little chinks in his armour with regard to what happened with his family and his guilt over their deaths. There is also some subtle acknowledgement of his relationship with Tiffany but this short story is less about emotion and more about a quick mission between books. It’s still extremely absorbing – even more than the previous novella as I feel I know Deacon better now. The writing is smooth and tasty – in fact this novella is like a tasty cinnamon bun – full of flavour, texture and smells delicious! I can’t wait to read Blood and Silver, the second full length Deacon book!

Recommended for fans of Jim Butcher and Kate Griffin. 8.5 out of 10

3 comments:

  1. I have slight arachnophobia so I don't think I'll make it past the cover. After reading your review I feel this is not for me, stolen egg-sacks... not my thing.

    Thanks for reading this, now I don't have to :D

    TS Blogoversary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought I'd hate Tiffany, but I like her! You should also come here. I bet we could find you a nice tattooed Catholic man around here! *waggles eyebrows*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spider babies *shivers* I could not think of anything more horrible

    ReplyDelete