Saturday 9 June 2012

On My Wishlist #90

This is a meme from Cosy Books. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week there's a post-apocalypse feel to the air...

The Hallowed Ones - Laura Bickle
Publisher: Graphia (September 2012)
 Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers can get a taste of the real world. But the real world comes to her in this dystopian tale with a philosophical bent. Rumors of massive unrest on the “Outside” abound. Something murderous is out there. Amish elders make a rule: No one goes outside, and no outsiders come in. But when Katie finds a gravely injured young man, she can’t leave him to die. She smuggles him into her family’s barn—at what cost to her community?

I adore Laura Bickle's writing - her Urban Fantasy series are just fantasic reads and real gems. So when I heard she was turning her hand to YA, I knew I wanted to get my hands on this! I've already pre-ordered The Hallowed and you should too! :-)

Etiquette for an Apocalypse - Anne Medel
Publishers: Brackett Press 
It’s the 2020 Apocalypse and Sophie Cohen, former social worker turned neighborly drug dealer, must keep her family alive amid those pesky end of the world issues: starvation, earthquakes, plagues, gang violence and alas more starvation.She investigates a serial killing and takes down the sinister emerging power structure while learning to use a pizza box solar oven, bond with her chickens and blast tin cans from the perimeter fence with a Ruger 9MM. In order to accomplish all this she must find a way to love her mother, accept her daughter’s adulthood and reignite her moribund marriage.
She might discover that a decentralized, consensus driven life—without fossil fuels, iPhones and chocolate éclairs—isn’t the end of the world, after all

How great does this sound?!! Blouedded from Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell reviewed this a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't get the idea of it out of my mind. Me want! :-)

The Reapers Are The Angels - Alden Bell
Publisher: Tor
Zombies have infested a fallen America. A young girl named Temple is on the run. Haunted by her past and pursued by a killer, Temple is surrounded by death and danger, hoping to be set free. For twenty-five years, civilization has survived in meager enclaves, guarded against a plague of the dead. Temple wanders this blighted landscape, keeping to herself and keeping her demons inside her heart. She can't remember a time before the zombies, but she does remember an old man who took her in and the younger brother she cared for until the tragedy that set her on a personal journey toward redemption. Moving back and forth between the insulated remnants of society and the brutal frontier beyond, Temple must decide where ultimately to make a home and find the salvation she seeks.


This has been out for a while but I only recently started to take note of it. I klike zombies and have been feeling some brains for a while now...


What's one your wishlist this week?

7 comments:

  1. Etiquette for an Apocalypse sounds fab! It hadn't even crossed my radar before today either. Thanks for signposting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Alden Bell book was haunting and beautiful, sad and hopeless

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hallowed Ones seems interesting and it's definitely going onto my wish list ;) But thanks for sharing :D

    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic
    Check out mine On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for The reapers are The Angels, Mel! It's breathtaking, that book! Laura Bickle reminds me of The Village (I can't help it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first I've heard of The Reapers are the Angels, it sounds fantastic. I've already got Etiquette for an Apocalypse on my wish list after reading Blodeuedd's review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all look really good...
    I've got The Reapers on my shelf-do you want me to read it and we could swap?
    Thanks for adding to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is an Amish dystopian book? How original.
    I actually have Etiquette for an Apocalypse but haven't read it yet. My sister did read it and didn't enjoy it, so I must admit to being being put off a bit since we have similar tastes.

    ReplyDelete