Friday 18 May 2012

The Power of Six Review


The Power of Six
- Pittacus Lore

Publisher: Penguin Books

We are the last defence.
I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.
Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.
And I'm ready to fight.

It’s been a long time since I read I Am Number Four (read my review here) and I have to confess to being generally underwhelmed with the experience – not bad particularly but I was expecting a lot more from it. So it was with a little reluctance I started reading The Power of Six hoping that a couple of positive reviews I’ve read recently were true. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. There is a dual narrative with this novel, one with John Smith (Number Four), his best friend Sam and Number Six on the run from the Mogadorians and the police in America which picks up pretty much from when I Am Number Four finishes. This storyline was action packed with plenty of excitement and car chases with John and Six using their Legacies extensively. The second storyline introduces Marina or Number Seven and her quiet life in a Nun run orphanage in Spain. Her Ceplan has turned her back on Lorien and left Marina struggling to cope with the emergence of her Legacies on her own. Mariana’s story certainly starts off much slower, but I was so intrigued by the way of life and Marina’s isolation that I was always wanting to read more of her story.

Marian is a lonely and isolated girl, with few friends. I loved the developing friendship between Marina and Ellie and well as her conversations with Hector and she seemed genuinely to want to do the right thing. In comparison I couldn’t help but dislike John. He behaved in a completely selfish manner throughout – flirting with Six despite knowing Sam liked her and having a girlfriend himself. He left Six to fight alone and when others were in danger he selfishly just wanted his chest back rather than helping. I really thought he was immature and needed a good slap! However, there is a greater exploration of Legacies and their chests as well as the Mogadorians with a glimpse of perhaps their true nemesis…

Overall, this is a highly readable book – it may not be the best written but it moves at a cracking pace, with action never more than a few pages away. I turned the pages compulsively – like eating a bag of chips before your Mum’s home cooked dinner. You know the chips won’t be as nice as dinner but you just can’t help yourself.

Recommended for fans of Will Hill and James Patterson. 7 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked more The Power of Six. I want to read it soon, but I was waiting to buy the spanish version (so my mother could read it too). But sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I am still too annoyed at frey

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I'll get out of your way so you can slap him. :)

    Still sounds like a couple of books I could library book. I think that is how I'll get my addiction in this case. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you liked it!
    *Breathes a sigh of relief*
    I definitely thought this book was better than I Am Number Four.

    ReplyDelete