Sunday 27 May 2012

My Book Haul/Showcase Sunday

I've decided to join Books, Biscuits and Tea's Showcase Sunday to share my lovely book hauls each week. Have a look back at Vicki's link up to see what everyone is up too!

The Alchemist of Souls - Anne Lyle
Publisher: Angry Robot
When Tudor explorers returned from the New World, they brought back a name out of half-forgotten Viking legend: skraylings. Red-sailed ships followed in the explorers’ wake, bringing Native American goods--and a skrayling ambassador--to London. But what do these seemingly magical beings really want in Elizabeth I’s capital?
Mal Catlyn, a down-at-heel swordsman, is seconded to the ambassador's bodyguard, but assassination attempts are the least of his problems. What he learns about the skraylings and their unholy powers could cost England her new ally--and Mal his soul

I got a copy of this from Angry Robot for review - it seems like steampunk-esque but set earlier and it's got some very positive reviews so far. I'm looking forward to getting some more fantasy under my belt - it's been a while since I read a good one! :-)

The Pack - Jason Starr
Publisher: Berkley
When Simon Burns is fired from his job without warning, he takes on the role of stay-at-home dad for his three-year-old son. But his reluctance pushes his already strained marriage to the limit. In the nestled playgrounds of the Upper West Side, Simon harbors a simmering rage at his boss's betrayal.
Things take a turn when he meets a tight-knit trio of dads at the playground. They are different from other men Simon has met, stronger and more confident, more at ease with the darker side of life-and soon Simon is lured into their mix. But after a guys' night out gets frighteningly out of hand, Simon feels himself sliding into a new nightmarish reality.
As he experiences disturbing changes in his body and his perceptions, he starts to suspect that when the guys welcomed him to their "pack," they were talking about much more than male bonding. And as he falls prey to his basest instincts, Simon must accept that werewolves exist if he is to turn the tides of his fortune...

I have to confess I'm loving the new penguin inprint - Berkley. Every book I've read so far has been my cup of tea! And this book I won from Sarah at Feeling Fictional and am already looking forward to picking it up!

Kindling The Moon - Jenn Bennett
Publisher: Pocket Books
Being the spawn of two infamous occultists (and alleged murderers) isn’t easy, but freewheeling magician Arcadia “Cady” Bell knows how to make the best of a crummy situation. After hiding out for seven years, she’s carved an incognito niche for herself slinging drinks at the demon-friendly Tambuku Tiki Lounge. But she receives an ultimatum when unexpected surveillance footage of her notorious parents surfaces: either prove their innocence or surrender herself. Unfortunately, the only witness to the crimes was an elusive Æthyric demon, and Cady has no idea how to find it. She teams up with Lon Butler, an enigmatic demonologist with a special talent for sexual spells and an arcane library of priceless stolen grimoires. Their research soon escalates into a storm of conflict involving missing police evidence, the decadent Hellfire Club, a ruthless bounty hunter, and a powerful occult society that operates way outside the law. If Cady can’t clear her family name soon, she’ll be forced to sacrifice her own life . . . and no amount of running will save her this time...

I also had some amazon vouchers sent through recently so I decided to pick up a couple of books I wanted and so many of my blogging friends have raved about this series recently, I decided to give it a go! :-)


Daybreak - Ellen Connor
Publisher: Berkley Sensation

It's been twelve years since the Change, and Penelope Sheehan is one of the few still practicing magic for the good of humanity in this dark, dangerous world. But she needs the help of a shapeshifter named Tru, whom she knew when he was a troubled boy. But Tru is a creature of instinct and impulse, living only to satisfy his senses- ignoring the scarred heart nobody has ever reached. Fighting alongside the last holdouts of humanity, they will unleash a passion that tempts them to risk everything for love. But if they succeed, Tru and Pen hold the power to brighten the Dark Age for all time.

Another purchase from my Amazon vouchers - I now have all three books in this Dark Age trilogy...I haven't read any of them but I have them all!


Nightshifted - Cassie Alexander
Publisher: St Martins Press
Nursing school prepared Edie Spence for a lot of things. Burn victims? No problem. Severed limbs? Piece of cake. Vampires? No way in hell. But as the newest nurse on Y4, the secret ward hidden in the bowels of County Hospital, Edie has her hands full with every paranormal patient you can imagine--from vamps and were-things to zombies and beyond...
Edie's just trying to learn the ropes so she can get through her latest shift unscathed. But when a vampire servant turns to dust under her watch, all hell breaks loose. Now she's haunted by the man's dying words--"Save Anna"--and before she knows it, she's on a mission to rescue some poor girl from the undead. Which involves crashing a vampire den, falling for a zombie, and fighting for her soul. "Grey's Anatomy" was never like this...

I pre-ordered this as I adored the sound of it. Really happy when it arrived this week!

Stormwalker - Allyson James
Publisher: Berkley
Half-Navajo Janet Begay possesses extraordinary power which is tied to the storms that waft across the desert. The only person who can control her when she's caught in the storm's evocative power is Mick, a dark-haired, blue-eyed biker Janet can't seem to touch with her powers. He can wield fire and not get burned, and Janet's never sure where he goes when they're not together.
Together they investigate mysterious disappearances, which Janet fears are tied to her mother's people, the mythical gods from below the earth. They are helped along the way by Coyote and Crow, but these shapeshifting gods have their own agendas.

I've had my eye on this for a while and was lucky enough to get a swap for it on readit-swapit!

What have you picked up this week?

13 comments:

  1. That's one fantastic haul, Mel! ;) I'm really looking forward to reading Nightshifted as soon as I get it. I love the sound of this book too! and Jenn Bennett was fun to read. Enjoy your books and hopefully another week of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you'll love the Jenn Bennett series and Nightshifted, they're really nice! I have to try the Allyson James series as well. I hope you'll enjoy them all dear! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindling The Moon sounds really good, I hope I can read that one soon. Nightshifted also sounds intriguing. I'll look forward to seeing what you think of it, as I haven't seen reviews yet I don't think.

    My books this week are in my Letterbox Love post.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Kindling the Moon and Stormwalker sound really great. I have had my eye on Stormwalker for a while just never got around to buying a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alchemist of Souls looks really interesting! Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. daybreak and nightshifted are books i need to get my hands on, enjoy.

    Here is my weekly round up.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. The alchemist of souls looks really cool. Thanks for sharing and happy reading ;)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard good things about Nightshifted and look forward to reading it myself. Awesome haul! I hope you enjoy your new books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That reminds me that I should read the 2nd Stormwalker book ;)
    Awesome awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great mailbox! Thanks for helping me find another great book. I've added Anne Lyle to my Goodreads neverending list :D

    Happy reading!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-sunday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pack looks really good!!! Thank you for sharing and happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep seeing Nightshifted around everywhere and I'm really intrigued by the whole doctors and dragons thing -- and everyone seems to be enjoying it so far, so I hope you do too :) And I haven't heard of any of the other books in your haul so far, but they all sound great!

    Awesome showcase this week, Mel! Have an amazing reading week! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of great books here! Enjoy them! :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2080

    ReplyDelete