Thursday 31 May 2012

Mel's Random May 2012

Is it just me or did a lot happen in May...? I know I was ill for nearly a week but even so I felt like a lot happened and I still haven't caught up. The weather in the UK went from rainy (I had to buy a new raincoat it was so bad!) to glorious sunshine and it finally felt like summer had arrived! My work load slowed down and my brother and his girlfriend moved a lot closer so I'm seeing more of them. However, one of my highlights of the month has to be the work trip to Legoland Windsor! I'd never been before and although I would have liked to spend more time in the park (rather than in meetings) I did manage to squeeze an hour in and visited Lego London! The hours it must take for people to put these together, and the detail in the buildings is great!


Lego St Pauls Cathedral
Lego Houses of Parliament
Lego London Eye


So how did this impact the reading situation?

Books
Blood Rights (House of Comarre 1) - Kristin Painter (TBR Pile Reading Challenge)
The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han
It's Not Summer Without You - Jenny Han
We'll Always Have Summer - Jenny Han
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant 2) - Ben Aaronovitch (British Book Challenge & TBR Pile Reading Challenge)
Apocalypse Cow - Michael Logan (British Book Challenge)
Dead Scared - S.J. Bolton (British Books Challenge)
The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore
Magic Lost, Trouble Found - Lisa Shearin (TBR Pile Reading Challenge)
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11) - Charlaine Harris


E-Books
Dark Gift - James Swain
Ninja verses Pirate Featuring Zombies - James Marshall
Throne of Glass Novellas: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord & The Assassin and the Desert
Evil Dark (Occult Crime Unit 2) - Justin Gustainis
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy 3) - Jennifer Estep
World Soul - Liz Williams


Audio-Books
Storm Front (Dresden Files 1) - Jim Butcher

Sarah's Reviews
Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville 6) - Carrie Vaughn
Graceling - Kristin Cashore

Regular Posts
Same Book/Different Cover looked at The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

In addition there were the usual wishlist posts, in my mailbox and Throwback Thursdays.

So updating the challenges -
British Books Challenge - 15 Read

2012 TBR Reading Pile Challenge - 20 Read, 10 Books to go

Best of the Bunch: Hmm, tough one this month but I will have to say Dead Scared by SJ Bolton - it scared me silly for days! Highly recommended! 


Honourable Mentions: Apocalypse Cow, Dark Frost and Moon Over Soho also scored hits with me! The Throne of Glass novellas prequels have made me really excited for the launch of the book soon - very excited!


Overall though I felt like May was a month were I was too focused on review books - I hardly read any books that I had bought myself. So I'm making a decision that June will be joyful June reading month. I'm only going to read books I really want to read, focus on books my by favourite authors or ones that I really want to try. So how about joining me and making June more joyful...? :-)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You read a lot this month. I didn't get much reading done at all. I'm off to check out Dead Scared on Goodreads as it sounds great.

    My first ever BOB post is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lego site looks fabulous! I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it! I also will be looking forward to your June reviews, Mel! I hope you enjoy your month of reading something for yourself as opposed to review requests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just you - May has been bizarre! The hot weather has made me start the end of term wind down early when really I have another 6 weeks of teaching to go after half term...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love legs :D (almost wrote legolas there, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- love the lego London!
    You read a lot of great books this month (I have ordered Apocalypse Cow!)
    I like the idea of a month reading only what you want to read. Joyful June is a good nickname!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stuff is made out of lego?! omg! It looks so real! Great month :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh! I'm always reading more review books than the ones I buy! I'm getting slightly better at it tho.

    Looks like you rocked the month tho!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for joyful June I read loads of review books this month so I want to read my own books over the summer too and I'm so impressed you're doing really well at your challenges too. You went to a meeting at Lego land? I want your job can we swop???

    ReplyDelete