Tuesday 1 May 2012

Blood Rights Review


Blood Rights (House of Comarre 1)
-       Kristen Painter

Publisher: Orbit
Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle's body bears the telltale marks of a comarre - a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility and control their hungers. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the darkness of the mortal world ...and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks. Chrysabelle's secrets, though, are about to put her life - and those around her - in even greater jeopardy. She possesses a powerful ring, the key to unlocking an ancient prophecy destined to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. A chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen threatens to reign unless she and Malkolm can stop the noble vampire behind the merciless plot

I finally got around to reading this book when you guys choose it for my Throwback Thursday poll in April! From the first page you are thrown into a complex and layered world with little explanation. Set in 2067 the world of vampires, ghosts, magic and the Comarre is hidden from normal humans by a special magical agreement. However, this pact could be broken. When her patron is murdered, Chrysabelle goes on the run and ends up working with Malkolm, an outcast vampire who might just have more demons than angels...
This is a unique Urban Fantasy with a very different world with intriguing politics and a very different take on the vampire myth. Comarre ‘taste’ better than mortals, but slowly it becomes clear that Comarre are more than just ‘tasty’ mortals. I loved how the slow realisation that the Comarre are organised and prepared for something. I also enjoyed meeting Malkolm and his entourage – they have a unique chemistry between them which speaks of the time they’ve been together and their support of each other – even if it doesn’t always seem right. This is a world with plenty of shades of grey – nothing is simple.
It took me a few pages to settle into the world and to get used to both Malkolm and Chrysabelle personalities. Neither of them trust easily and it takes some time to for them to come to an agreement, but once they do the action really takes off and the stakes just keep raising. This is a complex, exciting and intriguing addition to the genre – and I’m looking forward to next book in the series!

Recommended for fans of Karen Chance and Faith Hunter. 8 out of 10 

8 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this book and the ideas are intriguing, think I will have to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last, Mel! You finally got on Comarre wagon ;))) Great recommendation, the first book has that grittiness I see in Hunter and Chance, but the other two differ in mood and pace, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you get to read them. Loved the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you enjoyed the book that was chosen ;)
    I do think I have to read this one one day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I want to read this too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I enjoyed this one as well. This one to me was more fantasy oriented but the next was more PNR. Can't wait until you meet Creek. Oh and when you do... he's mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not got to this series yet, but I do want to give it a try. Wonderful review. Sounds like a nice blend I would enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I think I have this one since its release, I'm ashamed lol. I really need to read it. I think it's always so interesting to have a unique UF, I'm curious to know if I'll feel the same. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started reading this book last year then kind of struggled through the first part and put it down. I've been meaning to return to it. Hopefully someday soon, especially since I didn't even get to the part where I learn more about the vampires and what makes them different.

    ReplyDelete