Sunday 8 April 2012

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to! It's Easter so I've had a little bit of a splurge this week on spending...

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11) - Charlaine Harris
Publisher: UK - Gollancz
With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. But Sookie suspects otherwise and she and Sam work together to uncover the culprit - and the twisted motive for the attack. But her attention is divided. Though she can't 'read' vampires, Sookie knows her lover Eric Northman and his 'child' Pam well - and she realises that they are plotting to kill the vampire who is now their master. Gradually, she is drawn into the plot -which is much more complicated than she knows.

While the latest Sookie books haven't been as enjoyable as some of the earlier ones, I still want to catch up on what is happening in Bon Temps!

Dragon Bones + Dragon Blood - Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Ace Fantasy
 Riding into a war that's heating up on the border, Ward, the new lord of Herzog, is sure he's on the fast track to glory. But soon his mission takes a deadly turn. For he has seen a pile of magical dragon bones hidden deep beneath Hurog Keep. The bones could prove to be dangerous in the wrong hands, and Ward is certain his enemies will stop at nothing to possess them.

I picked both of these up at London's South Bank Book Market for next to nothing. I love Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series so I finding some of her early fantasy books which have never been (to my knowledge) been published in the UK was a real find!

The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3) - Phillippa Gregory
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Descended from Melusina, the river goddess, Jacquetta has always had the gift of second sight. Married to the Duke of Bedford, English Regent of France, Jacquetta is introduced by him to a mysterious world of learning and alchemy. Her only friend in the great household is the Duke’s squire Richard Woodville, who is at her side when the Duke’s death leaves her a wealthy young widow. The two become lovers and marry in secret, returning to England to serve at the court of the young King Henry VI, where Jacquetta becomes a close and loyal friend to his new queen.

While I was a little disappointed with the last couple of Phillippa Gregory books - but I'm always willing to give the new release another try!

The Whispering Room - Amanda Stevens
Publisher: MIRA
Work is a welcome refuge for New Orleans homicide detective Evangeline Theroux. Feeling suffocated by her new baby, in whose eyes she sees only her dead husband, she throws herself into a high-profile murder case.
Reclusive writer Lena Saunders offers Evangeline a provocative theory about the crime: it is the work of a lunatic vigilante. Lena spins the sordid story of Ruth and Rebecca Lemay, whose mother brutally murdered her male children in an insane effort to root out an "evil" gene. The girls survived and grew to adulthood--but one is carrying on her mother's grisly work. When the case takes a terrifyingly personal turn, Evangeline's whole life will depend on a crucial, impossible choice: the lesser of two evils.

Having read and loved The Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens, I was so happy to find another book by her which sounds just as atmospheric as the Amelia Gray books!

What have you picked up this week?

9 comments:

  1. The Whispering Room looks very intriguing. It's the kind of book I'd love to read. I like the idea of a family killing male children to ban out an 'evil gene' and then the daughter continuing the mother's work; it makes an intriguing premise for a thriller.

    New GFC follower!

    Take a look at what's in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago I was so surprised to see I had a book by Amanda Stevens and in french. I didn't even know it was the same author. I hope you'll enjoy all your new books!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mailbox this week. I wasn't a huge fan of the latest Sookie book. It didn't seem like the writers heart was in it. Hopefully you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Briggs :) I have those too. And I hope you like the Gregory one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy everything you got this week! Here's my IMM!

    http://paigebradish1996.blogspot.com/2012/04/in-my-mailbox-29.html

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have to let me know how The Whispering Room is. I've had it on my shelf for months but haven't gotten to it yet. I also haven't read any of the Sookie books, but have a few of those to get me started. Hope you love all your new books!!

    Tiffany
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dragon Bones + Dragon Blood - Patricia Briggs adding on my wishlist
    tnx

    enjoy allll

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover for The Lady of the Rivers looks so good! I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Charlaine Harris. Everyone's telling me to not read the 11th book but I don't think I'll stand the not-knowing any longer.. *goes to Amazon..* Heheh.

    Happy Reading!

    Patricia // Maybe check out my IMM, too?

    ReplyDelete