Monday 5 December 2011

Taken By The Others Review

Taken By The Others (H+W Investigations 2)
-       Jess Haines
Kindle Book
Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest's most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she's dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia - for very different reasons. Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce's interest is a lot more personal. That's not sitting well with Shia's werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets ever more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she's discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties - and even her desires.
This is my second visit to H+W Investigations and I think I had even more fun this time. Shia has overcome some of her prejudices about the Others – particularly regarding the werewolves and mages thanks to her boyfriend Chaz and her friend Arnold. But Vampires still scare her - especially one of the eldest in town, Royce who she has been avoiding. However, a new vampire arrives in town and Shia may have to face the devil she knows to avoid becoming further entangled with the Others.
What I like about Shia is that she is learning, but she still isn’t quite in control. She still makes mistakes. Her defence of Chaz in this book shows how much she has grown since the first book – and really made me feel like she was invested in the relationship. Although, her connection with Royce means it isn’t smooth sailing on the romance front – and to be honest I’m not sure either man is right for her – but there is some great romantic tension – and what series doesn’t a good love triangle! There wasn’t enough Arnold and Sara here for me – although I liked the introduction of Devon and some of the other vampires.
There is a lot of racing around, trying to figure out what happens next, but the climatic showdown is fantastic with great action and heart stopping moments – and some issues which will make the next book interesting. Overall, this is a great read and an entertaining and amusing addition to the Urban Fantasy genre!
Recommended for fans of Patricia Briggs and Nicole Peeler. 8 out of 10.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder when book 4 is coming out, I am starting to want it now :) I need to know what happens. Read book 3 and you'll see

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one, I just love this series. You'll see the third is amazing and so unpredictable. I can't wait to see tour opinion about this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! This is a series I've been wanting to start! Looks like I'll be getting the whole series. Between you and Blodeuedd...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do have the first one of this series on my shelf and want to get to it one of these days... *cough, cough* I'm so bad at getting to books *sigh* But I have it here. :) Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly didn't know there were vamps in this series. I got the first book a while back but still haven't read it or apparently read what it's about. LOL

    I like the sound of Shia still making mistakes. It good for character development.

    ReplyDelete