Saturday 17 December 2011

On My Wishlist #68

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week I'm back home, looking at some books that are set in London...
The Minority Council - Kate Griffin
Publisher: Orbit (March 2012)
Matthew Swift, Midnight Mayor, is in charge. And London is having its issues.
The new drug on the market is fairy dust and it turns humans into walking drug labs. Teenage vandals are being hunted by a mystical creature. And criminals are dying by magical means.
If Swift is going to save London from a rising tide of blood, he’s going to have to learn his lessons – and fast.

I loved the first three Matthew Swift books (A Madness of Angels, The Midnight Mayor and The Neon Court) so I can't wait for the next books to come out. Although I would classify these as Urban Fantasy, they are very different from the usual UF mix with Matthew himself am Urban sorcerer who gains magic from the city around him. I can't wait to see what he is getting up to next.

Fated - Benedict Jacka
Publisher: Orbit (March 2012)
Camden, North London. A tangled, mangled junction of train lines, roads and the canal. Where minor celebrities hang out with minor criminals, where tourists and moody teenagers mingle, and where you can get your ears pierced and your shoulder tattooed while eating sushi washed down with a can of super strength beer.
In the heart of Camden, where rail meets road meets leyline, you might find the Arcana Emporium, run by one Alex Verus. He won’t sell you a wand or mix you a potion, but if you know what you’re looking for, he might just be able to help. That’s if he’s not too busy avoiding his apprentice, foiling the Dark, outwitting the Light, and investigating a highly toxic Relic that has just turned up at the British Museum.

This is a new series but has a similar feel to the Matthew Swift books - and if it's half as good then I'll be happy.

Timeless - Gail Carriger
Publisher: Orbit (March 2012)
Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, can not put a dampener on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle.
Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

Okay, so the cover has the pyramids on it, but usually this series is London based and I am looking forward to the escapades that Alexia will get up to next!
What are you wishing for this week? :)

5 comments:

  1. Yes yes on the new Alexia book :D I can't wait to read it and see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I still need to read the first Gail Carriger book? Hm... should I just start with this one? LOL

    I like your London edition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days I'll read Soulless.

    I've completed my GoodReads challenge and I have a pile of ex-wishlist books to read. I want to get through them by New Year's. Please come see what I'm reading and what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read soulless but timeless sounds like a really great book too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This On My Wishlist meme has made me add more books on my wishlist as I tour around looking at other ppl's desired books :(

    But hope you get books on your wishlist for Christmas :P

    ReplyDelete