Monday 26 December 2011

Early Review: Enchanted Again

Enchanted Again (Mystic Circle 2)
-          Robin D Owens
Publisher: Luna – Published on 27th December 2011
E-Arc courtesy of netgalley and Luna
Magic has a price—and for Amber Sarga it's days and years off her life. Each curse she breaks ages her—and the bigger the curse the bigger the cost, and not only to her. That's why she hides away and has vowed not to get involved again… That's why she hates looking in a mirror… And then an ill-fated stranger arrives. Rafe Davail doesn't believe in curses—not even knowing that in his family every first son dies young. Amber offers guidance but she won't break the curse. Still, as she grows closer to Rafe and discovers the secrets of their pasts, she wonders if for this time, this man, she should risk it all...

Amber is a curse-breaker, but for every curse she breaks she and those she loves the most, age: Sometimes a few months – sometimes years.  This was nice quirk of using magic meaning there was consequence for Amber – even if she was doing good by breaking curses.  The male lead, Rafe wasn’t one I could warm too – he seemed too rich, too arrogant and when he accepted magic was real, he just moved into Amber’s house without much discussion or thought! If a character has enough charm then these faults can be overlooked but as far as I could see Rafe was fairly charmless and condescending towards Amber, calling her squishy all the time!
I didn’t realise until I was over half way through that this is actually the second of a series! (Unlike some I try to read series in order... J)  However, as the characters are just getting to grips with magic and their own abilities there wasn’t really a need to have read the first book so I was able to start reading and pick up what was happening at the same time as the characters. However, as the story progressed I got continually frustrated to the frequent references to a character, Jenni – who was off-stage that I never met. Presumably she was having the adventure the first book detailed, but as I didn’t know her and never met her in the book I was just annoyed but how often she was ‘missed’ by the characters I did know!
I liked the idea of magic in this world though – the major and minor light races and the melding of magic with technology was intriguing. I loved Amber and how she held onto her humanity and grew as she learnt more about her past. The magical characters introduced were great – I loved the Brownies and the fire spirits who were all addicted to chocolate! I have to admit that I would often be craving some myself while reading. These characters had some great warmth and banter to the story and I always wanted to see more of the Brownies. However, I struggled to truly relax into the story. Perhaps it was me, but I was always aware I was reading rather than being swept up by the story. However, I am interested enough to want to know more about the world and would consider reading more in this world. And I love the cover – it’s so pretty and different from most of the paranormal romance out there at the moment!
Recommended for fans of Majorie Liu and Yasmine Galenorn. 6 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. Ok it does sound like magic that I would not want to use, it is killing her, slowly. Not fun at all

    ReplyDelete