Thursday 20 October 2011

Throwback Thursday #27 - Under The Dome

This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while and I wanted to jump on board! There are plenty of books out there I desperately want...

But what about all those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves?

Under The Dome - Stephen King
On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as "the dome" comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when -- or if -- it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens -- town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing -- even murder -- to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn't just short. It's running out.

I'm a fan of Stephen King's work - IT and Cell are two of the creepiest books I've ever read. So when this came out in paperback I snapped it up. And nearly broke my wrist! This is a mega-tome with nearly 1000 pages of writing and while I'm sure it will be worth it, I just haven't been able to face such a heavy weight in my handbag on my morning commute yet! This is one of those books I'm thinking of investing in the kindle version as well... Is it worth it though? :-)

7 comments:

  1. I loved Under the Dome. You need to read it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading it at the moment and am really loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The size has put me off so far. I will definitely get around to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband, a big King fan, has recently read this one. He liked it but thought it could do with some editing and felt that it wasn't as good as books like It/The Stand/The Shining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one myself, but from what I've heard about it, it's mostly a lot of hype without much delivery. I hope that isn't true, since it does at least sound like the premise is interesting, but from what I've learned about King, his books are hit-or-miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *shivers in the corner*

    I can't look! Book's gonna eat me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've heard good things about this one. I do hope you enjoy it when you finally get to it. :) Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete