Monday 10 October 2011

Iron Crowned Review

Iron Crowned (Dark Swan 3)
-       Richelle Mead
Publisher: UK – Bantam
Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham is the best at banishing entities trespassing in the mortal realm. But as the Thorn Land’s queen, she’s fast running out of ways to end the brutal war devastating her kingdom. Her only hope: the Iron Crown, a legendary object even the most powerful gentry fear…
Who Eugenie can trust is the hardest part. Fairy king Dorian has his own agenda for aiding her search. And Kiyo, her shape-shifter ex-boyfriend, has every reason to betray her along the way. To control the Crown’s ever-consuming powers, Eugenie will have to confront an unimaginable temptation--one that will put her soul and the fate of two worlds in mortal peril...
How to describe this book without giving anything away? It’s a bit like trying to describe a sculpture by phone...hopefully you’ll get the idea, but the best thing is really to go and see the sculpture yourself – or in this case read the book!
First thing to note, this is very much a continuation of the previous two books, Storm Born and Thorn Queen and so much that happens does depend on prior knowledge. Even Eugenie’s relationships with her two men it helps to know some of the past to put her thoughts and feeling into perspective.  And about her two men. I am very much in the Dorian camp – he is alpha male all the way and while he may not be the most honest of men – I think he is in his own way honourable. I am not a fan of Kiyo – he never seems be honest and I don’t think he trusts Eugenie.
The quest for the Iron Crown is over pretty quickly as the story returns to the story arc and the war. Eugenie is put through the emotional wringer here as her whole life comes under question. I loved how her relationship with her sister developed as she does seem to be lacking in female friends. Overall, though I felt like something was missing. I haven’t fully connected to Eugenie and she feels a little otherworldly – although being half fae that’s understandable! Still I enjoyed the ride which is a sexy adventure through the gentry world full of politics and fun.
Recommended for fans of Larissa Ione and Sherrilyn Kenyon. 7 out of 10.

7 comments:

  1. I am not so sure about this one. I've read the Vampire Academy series of the same author and I had some issues with it. I grant you, it wasn't very horrible, but it seems the author loves love triangle which....I love to hate. Thanks for a review which presented all good and bad points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a Dorian fan too - Kiyo just never seems to know what he's doing, and like you say, he's the 'alpha male' - Kiyo just can't stand up for himself in the same way. I still haven't read this book, but I definitely will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you for this one. I just love this novel and I can't wait to read the sequel ! I really love Dorian too, I think Kiyo is so exasperating. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read anything by Mead, but I think when I do, I'll start with the VA series. Though this one does sound good, and I like the fact that this books picks up where the other left off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious about her adult books, but I just do not know

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK! I have the first 2 books for like... EVER and still haven't read them. I need this one to go with the first 2 *cough* on my shelf (for now). Looks like I'll enjoy it when I get to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this cover. I haven't read the first in the series so it seems I need to start from there.

    ReplyDelete