Thursday 29 September 2011

The Spirit Eater Review

The Spirit Eater (Legend of Eli Monpress 3)
-       Rachel Aaron
Publisher: Orbit
With the pressure on after his success in Gaol, Eli Monpress, professional thief and degenerate, decides it's time to lie low for a bit. Taking up residence in a tiny seaside village, Eli and his companions seize the chance for some fun and relaxation. Nico, however, is finding it a bit hard. Plagued by a demon's voice in her head and feeling powerless, she only sees herself as a burden. Everyone's holiday comes to an untimely close, though, when Pele arrives to beg Eli's help for finding her missing father. But there are larger plans afoot than even Eli can see, and the real danger, and the solution, may lie with one of his own and her forgotten past. If only Nico could remember whose side she's on.
Wow. Just wow. After a yummy starter in The Spirit Thief and a tasty fish course in The Spirit Rebellion, we get the most delicious, scrumptious main course in The Spirit Eater! It has all the things I loved about the first two books – dripping with amusing banter,  seasoned with daring escapades and served with great action scenes. Plus this time we get additional information about Nico and her demon seed and the league of storms and the shepherdess, which has only been hinted at previously. And we find out what Eli does with all his loot! J
Eli shows some true emotional depth as he can’t refuse to help a friend and then struggles to trust his partner, Nico when he finds out more about her past. Miranda is hard on Eli’s heels and determined not to let him slip through her fingers once again. And this time she’s working with two mysterious men from the council – Sparrow and Tesset, both of whom are intriguing additions that leave me wanting to know more. That’s what I love about this series – the answers to questions are given but not handed to you on a plate. To find out you have to keep reading – and when the writing this smooth and the story so interesting it’s no chore!
I love the humour – so many fantasy books take themselves too seriously. Here the stakes are raised, you care about the characters, but there is still great fun to be had. I love any scene which has both Miranda and Eli in – they really spark off each other and their conversations had me smiling all day. Miranda who has been so straight and narrow previously, starts to learn that there are shades of grey in the world. Her ghosthound, Gin is as much a delight as ever. I could just go on mentioning the layered characters and how there are so many hints at what there is to come, but it would be much easier if you read the books as well.
This is my favourite Eli book so far – and now I can’t believe I have to wait until next year for The Spirit War! If you want some fun adventures in a unique magic system, then start hunting down Eli and see if you catch him! J
Recommended for fans of Karen Miller and Jennifer Fallon. 9.5 out of 10.

5 comments:

  1. I love a lot of good humor in my books too! Glad to know this last book really packed it all in and ended up being the best in the series. Definitely give reads a lot to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeek, skimming again, I do not want to ruin a single thing. I just need to look at that last grade and be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so want to read the rest of these. I loved the first but oh man... your fave Eli book? I'm getting these. Just need the time now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to sit here and pout. I don't have the books yet. :( I'll get them... One way or another... I'll get them! ;D Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wha....what?! Next year? My friend told me the Spirit War would come out at the end of this year! NO!!!!! Now I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete