Friday 2 September 2011

0.4 Review

0.4
    -    Mike A. Lancaster        
Publisher: Egmont
It's a brave new world.
'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.'
So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded onto old audiotapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax, but perhaps they contain the history of a past world....If what the tapes say is true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie.
And if everything we know is a lie, does that mean that we are, too?
This book is written as a transcript of some audiotapes discovered and describes how the world changed drastically one day. This is Kyle’s story and his voice, his character comes over beautifully. He is a teenager just on brink of adulthood – suffering with family problems and girls. All that changes though on the day of the annual village talent contest... The writing is simple but extremely effective, creating a world that you recognise – at least at first with popular culture references. Then slowly the familiar becomes creepy and downright scary as everything changes – leaving Kyle and his friends lost and confused. There is a large portion of time when you’re not sure what is really happening – is it all in Kyle’s head?
If I could describe this book in one word? Amazing! 0.4 may not be a long novel, but it is one that will keep you thinking long after you close the pages. There is a sophisticated plot which meshes well with the teen angst. The mystery is intriguing and the reveal is not disappointing. This is pretty much the perfect anecdote to anyone who wants a YA book that’s different, but doesn’t involve vampires, demons, mermaids or werewolves. Or if you just want a well written, intelligent and exciting YA story.
Recommended for fans of Cat Patrick and Johnathan Maberry. 9 out of 10.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my favourites. I really want a sequel of this... :P

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this one would be amazing on audio! I'm not a big fan of the cover though, eww! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, The premise and writing style sound so different and very intriguing. I love the cover, and I think I could really like this book even if there are no supes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds really good, thank you for a great review! The cover is amazing - creepy but fascinating at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this one over at another blog, just the blurb and was not impressed, But now. Well it does have something to it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That just sounds so interesting! It sounds so different. Oh yes, I'm wishlisting this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this sitting waiting to be read for ages really need to bump it up my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I can't wait to read this too but I haven't found a copy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually bought this last week having never heard of it before.

    I'm so glad you liked it - I just bought it on a whim so it's nice to hear I have good taste!

    ReplyDelete