Thursday 11 August 2011

Throwback Thursday #19 - Gone

This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while and I wanted to jump on board! There are plenty of books out there I desperately want...

But what about all those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves?

Gone - Michael Grant
 
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.
Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

I bought this a while ago on the strenuous recommendation of a friend who continual berates me for not reading it yet. I love the premise and so many people love this series. It has hovered near the top of my To B Read pile for months but something else always get picked up instead - whats with that? :) 

7 comments:

  1. Consider this another berating!! READ IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like in that NZ or Aussie series? Seems to be the same deal going on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this novel when it was free on the HarperCollins website for a while, and I loved it so much that I really want to read the rest of the series. Only my current budget has prevented that from happening, but still, I highly recommend this book, and I'm hoping I can say the same about the others that come after it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I think I had this series mixed up with another I didn't like and so I never picked it up. I know it's not the same one because of the synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Love the berating! That is a good friend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky enough to read this as a free read on Harper/Teen.com when book two was coming out. I loved it so much that I immediately bought this one and book 2. Awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See Mel! It is awesome! And yes, the premise is similar to "Tomorrow when the war began" but I think Gone is better written. Now to only convince you of The Hunger Games and the Enemy....

    ReplyDelete