Tuesday 2 August 2011

Early Review: Luck of the Devil

Luck of the Devil
-       Patricia Eimer
Kindle Book
E-Copy courtesy of netgalley and Entangled Publishing
Being the youngest daughter of the Devil isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The days of teenage rebellion and vows of chastity made just to tick off her father are over, and now all Faith Bettincourt wants is a nice, quiet life. Unfortunately, thanks to the unexpected arrival of her demonically-downsized sister, a ditzy succubus roommate, and dear old Dad himself, Faith’s plans for a relaxing vacation spent watching reruns go up in flames. Now it’s all Faith can do to keep the family reunion from Hell (literally) under wraps, and the angelically-inclined hottie across the hall from realizing there’s something weird about his neighbour. And, thankfully, it’s working. Until an angelic stalker shows up in a bid to steal her powers and take over the world.
Forget watching reruns. With the way things are going, Faith will need the luck of the Devil just to survive until Monday.

This was such a fun read! I was entertained from the minute I started reading with this cosy supernatural story. There is a great family dynamic between Faith and the rest of her family – including her sister and half brother. Not to mention her whacky mother and her father, Satan the devil. Plus there is her uncle and cousin... I loved the dysfunctional family element which made them all relatable and feel like a normal family. Some of the one-liners are hilarious and had me laughing out loud.
In addition to the family reunion from hell, there is an intriguing little mystery regarding Faith’s stalker as well as her burgeoning relationship with her mysterious neighbour which adds a lovely fission of romance. While the big finale seemed a little underwhelming, I did like that Faith was able to handle herself. One little niggling point was the sub-plot regarding the stolen meds from the hospital seemed to fizzle out and didn’t go anywhere, but I can’t really complain as I had such an enjoyable ride.
This is amusing from the start and a fast paced fun adventure. I’m hoping for a lot more adventures with the family from hell! More please! J
Recommended for fans of Nina Harper and MaryJanice Davidson. 8 out of 10

3 comments:

  1. I love the look of the summary! And I love books where Hell gets a shakeup...this seems exactly my thing! Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun read. I love those! Even those little things that could interfere with a good read didn't bug you so I don't think it would get in my way either. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, well I am always a sucker for a cute cover ;) I really should get over that habit

    ReplyDelete