Thursday 14 July 2011

Throwback Thursday #15 - Room

This is a great feature that Melissa at My World...in words and pictures has been doing for a while and I wanted to jump on board! There are plenty of books out there I desperately want...

But what about all those wonderful books that are ALREADY on my shelves?

Room - Emma Donoghue

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

This is one of those books that I heard so many rave reviews about I had to pick up and see for myself what all the fuss was about. And, well. I bought it! I just haven't read it! From the blurb I can't help thinking it's going to be an emotional book and I haven't felt like reading a book this emotional for a while (real life is enough for the moment!). But I will...soon...probably. :)

8 comments:

  1. I have this one sitting on my shelves as well - Like you I wanted to read it after reading so many great reviews about it, but I just haven't found the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same read about it thought it sounded awesome and just had to get it which I did. I read it recently and reviewed it on my blog if you want to read it but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. In fact some of it was annoying to me and I kind of pushed through just wanting it to end already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. READ IT! yes I was scared shitless cos I can't deal with things like that. But since it was through the kids eyes it was different

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, read it and write about it. I need an incentive to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've bought it but not read it too. The hype is putting me off a little bit! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm exactly the same! I have maybe.. 150 odd books on my shelf that I really should read but hey ho I just keep buying more. Had a fun trip to The Works this week (7 new books, and that was me behaving myself! I picked up perhaps 8 or 9 more) and I can't wait to dig into those books. But ahem, I'm rambling.

    I bought 'Room' just after Christmas with my leftover Christmas/birthday money in my big box of Amazon goodies and just haven't managed to pick it up yet. I was in a pretty strong epic fantasy mood for about 9 months, and currently in more of an urban fantasy/chick lit mood.. so yup, know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have this on audio, but haven't dove in yet. Still heard such good things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete