Saturday 11 June 2011

On My Wishlist #42


This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week I'm falling under the spell of some magical books...
Hard Spell - Justin Gustainis
Publisher: Angry Robot (July 2011)
Meet Stan Markowski of the Scranton PD’s Occult Crimes Unit
“Like the rest of America, Scranton’s got an uneasy ‘live and let unlive’ relationship with the supernatural. But when a vamp puts the bite on an unwilling victim, or some witch casts the wrong kind of spell, that’s when they call me. My name’s Markowski. I carry a badge. Also, a crucifix, some wooden stakes, a big vial of holy water, and a 9mm Beretta loaded with silver bullets.”

This is the first of a new series and looks pretty cool. I like books with a crime element and the idea of an Occult Crimes Units is definitely something I want to try! 

Black Dust Mambo - Adrian Phoenix
Publisher: Pocket Books 
Kallie Riviere, a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a talent for trouble, finds herself smack-dab in the middle of one of those times her mentor warned her about when she visits New Orleans to attend the Hecatean Alliance's annual carnival: her hard-bodied conjurer hookup ends up dead in her blood-drenched bed. And he was killed by something that Kallie would never dream of touching -- the darkest of dark juju, soul-eating juju -- a black dust hex that may have been meant to kill her. Now Kallie has to use every bit of hoodoo knowledge and bayou-bred mojo she possesses to clear her own name and find the killer -- even as that dark sorcerer hunts Kallie and her friends. But Kallie's search for the truth soon leads her in a direction she never anticipated -- back home to Bayou Cypres Noir, and to Gabrielle LaRue, Kallie's aunt, protector, and hoodoo mentor . . . who is looking more and more like
she just might be the one who wants Kallie dead.


I love books based in New Orleans - there's such an atmosphere books set there! I love the premise of magic in such a Gothic city. :)

Grave Dance (Alex Craft 2) - Kalayna Price
Publisher: Roc (July 2011)
After a month of down time, Grave Witch Alex Craft is ready to get back to solving murders by raising the dead. With her love life in turmoil, Alex is eager for the distractions of work. But when her new case forces her to overuse her magic, it might be the last mystery the Grave Witch ever gets to solve...

I have Grave Witch, the first Alex Craft story, near the top of my TBR pile and plan to get to it soon - but I just have a feeling that I will want to start on the sequel as soon as possible!

So what are you wishing for this week? :)

11 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Grave Witch. I haven't heard of this series before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wishing for more books by Kate Noble :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of Grave Dance and Black Dust Mambo,,might have to check those out..thanks for sharing
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I have Black Dust Mambo and Grave Dance on my TBR.

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grave Dance and Black Dust Mambo are sitting on my TBR pile! I hope you get to enjoy all of these soon!

    Here's mine: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/06/on-my-wishlist-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books! I would love to read these too.

    Thank you for sharing:-)

    Have a great day.

    My wishlist

    Mysteriousbooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just picked up my first Adrian Phoenix! I loved the sound of the setting too and who couldn't love all that voodoo? :) Love your list.

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting collection of books this week! My featured wish is Junonia by Kevin Henkes. Come see why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a lot of books from Angry Robot I have been thinking about trying. I might have to check out Hard Spell. Oh and I want to read the Adrian Phoenix and Price books too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooo grave dance sounds quite good, must check out the one before it! :D

    ReplyDelete