Saturday 28 May 2011

On My Wishlist #40


This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track This week I'm leaping back and forth through time...
 
The Kings of Eternity - Eric Brown
Publisher: Solaris
1999. On the threshold of a new millennium, the novelist Daniel Langham lives a reclusive life on an idyllic Greek island, hiding away from humanity and the events of the past. All that changes, however, when he meets artist Caroline Platt and finds himself falling in love. But what is his secret, and what are the horrors that haunt him?
1935. Writers Jonathon Langham and Edward Vaughan are summoned from London by their editor friend Jasper Carnegie to help investigate strange goings-on in Hopton Wood. What they discover there – no less than a strange creature from another world – will change their lives forever.

I found this when flicking through one of my magazines and I liked the cover plus I like the look of this with both time periods being in the past...

The Annubis Gates - Tim Powers
Publisher: Gollancz
Brendan Doyle is a twentieth-century English professor who travels back to 1810 London to attend a lecture given by English romantic poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge. This is a London filled with deformed clowns, organised beggar societies, insane homunculi and magic. When he is kidnapped by gypsies and consequently misses his return trip to 1983, the mild-mannered Doyle is forced to become a street-smart con man, escape artist, and swordsman in order to survive in the dark and treacherous London underworld. He defies bullets, black magic, murderous beggars, freezing waters, imprisonment in mutant-infested dungeons, poisoning, and even a plunge back to 1684. Coleridge himself and poet Lord Byron make appearances in the novel, which also features a poor tinkerer who creates genetic monsters and a werewolf that inhabits others' bodies when his latest becomes too hairy.

This is supposedly a real classic story and I love the hint of Steampunk with Egypt and Victorian era colliding...

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Yasuta Tsutsui
Publisher: Alma Books
The Girl Who Leapt through Time is the story of fifteen-year-old schoolgirl Kazuko, who accidentally discovers that she can leap back and forth in time. In her quest to uncover the identity of the mysterious figure that she believes to be responsible for her paranormal abilities, she'll constantly have to push the boundaries of space and time, and challenge the notions of dream and reality.

Another gorgeous cover and an intriguing idea - what would you do if you could travel in time when you were 15?

What are you wishing for this week?

10 comments:

  1. Lovely choices!
    I'm your newest follower!

    Here's our wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I hope you get to read them soon! I especially like the sound of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are interesting books. The Girl Who Leapt Throught Time sounds sounds intriguing!

    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of the first one,,hope you get them,,,thanks for sharing

    Jen

    come check out my wishlist.

    http://aftersunset-b4dawn.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-my-wish-list-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! The Girl Who Leapt through Time sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time sounds like a good read, but man, if I could travel through time at 15 we'd all be in trouble. I knew nothing at that age. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this group looks good, but I really want The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the last one, and perhaps cos that was sure I power I always wanted and still want ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Annubis Gates sounds good. My featured wish comes from the Armchair BEA interview I conducted earlier in the week. Come see who I interviewed and what book I've added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of any of these but they all three sound interesting! Hope you get the chance to read them soon :)

    ReplyDelete