Saturday 14 May 2011

On My Wishlist #38


This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track! This week it's ghostly books that are haunting me...
Long Lankin - Lindsey Barraclough
Publisher: UK - Bodley Head
When Cora and her little sister Mimi are sent to stay with their elderly aunt in the isolated village of Bryers Guerdon, they receive a less than warm welcome, and are desperate to go back to London. But Auntie Ida's life was devastated the last time two young girls were at Guerdon Hall, and now her nieces' arrival has reawoken an evil that has lain waiting for years.
A haunting voice in an empty room ... A strange, scarred man lurking in the graveyard ... A mysterious warning, scrawled on the walls of the abandoned church . . . Along with Roger and Peter, two young village boys, Cora must uncover the horrifying truth that has held Bryers Guerdon in its dark grip for centuries - before it is too late for Mimi.

This looks deliously spooky and atmospheric - even looking at the cover makes me want to brush cobwebs off my shoulders and glance to see who's breathing down my neck.

Shift - Jeri Smith-Ready
Publisher: UK - Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Born after The Shift, a little-understood event that enabled the younger generations to communicate with the dead, sixteen year-old Aura can see ghosts. These violet-hued spirits are constantly talking to her, following her, wanting her to help them make amends for their untimely deaths. Aura finds this all rather annoying ~ until her boyfriend Logan died and began to haunt her. Aura wants to be there for Logan, to support him as a friend, but while Logan struggles to come to terms with being a ghost, she finds herself increasingly drawn to her very-alive and very-cute friend, Zachary. And as the lines between ghost and shade, and friendship and love begin to blur, Aura realises that time is running out, and if she is to unlock the mysteries of the Shift then she must choose between Logan and Zachary. But when both boys hold a piece of your heart, how do you choose?

I loved Shade, the first in the shift series (see my review here)so I can't wait for this the second in the series to come out in July. I'm hoping there will be answers to questions regarding the Shift and Aura's past that were raised in the first book.
 
The Hunting Ground - Cliff McNish
Publisher: Orion's Children's Books
When Elliott and his brother, Ben, move into the old and crumbling Glebe House they don't expect to find themselves sharing it with ghosts. But soon sinister events are unfolding. An old diary reveals glimpses of the mansion's past - and of a terrible tragedy. A mysterious woman talks to the dead. And evil lurks in the East Wing - a hideous labyrinth of passageways devised by a truly twisted mind. Can Elliott and his family escape the clutches of Glebe House? Or will they be trapped in the maze of corridors, forever hunted by the dead?

This look uber-creepy and spooky. And who doesn't like a good scare occasionally?

So what are you wishing for this week?

12 comments:

  1. I keep saying I'm going to read Shade and Shift. I really need to get a move on!

    My wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long Lankin is on my wish list too. I think I have the Cliff McNish one coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices, The Hunting Ground sounds like something I would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOHHHH! I like that spooky mysterious ,,,,those sound awsome,,,thanks for sharing...
    and Im a new follower,,,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really fancy Long Lankin and The Hunting Ground. Can't wait to get my hands on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these sound good, but I really fancy Long LAnkin myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hunting Ground sounds good. I'm on vacation. That means: freelance writing, doing some web design work for clients and looking for a job. But when I'm not doing any of that stuff I'm reading or having fun. Come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first and the last one looks like my type of books. I love horror and those two sounds like a great read:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool picks! I think I'm going to have to add Long Lankin to my TBR list. :)

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shift cover looks so good! Oh and The Hunting Ground really sounds interesting. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read jerry smith readys series! The Hunting Ground looks creepy but sounds awesome. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete