Saturday 7 May 2011

On My Wishlist #37


This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I can keep track!
 
The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde
Publisher: UK -  Hodder & Stoughton
In the good old days, magic was powerful, unregulated by government, and even the largest spell could be woven without filling in magic release form B1-7g. Then the magic started fading away. Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, an employment agency for soothsayers and sorcerers. But work is drying up. Drain cleaner is cheaper than a spell, and even magic carpets are reduced to pizza delivery. So it’s a surprise when the visions start. Not only do they predict the death of the Last Dragon at the hands of a dragonslayer, they also point to Jennifer, and say something is coming. Big Magic . . .
 
I'm a big fan of Jasper Fforde and this is the only book of his I don't have! Added to that it sounds really good...I love it when magic is made ordinary.
 
Firelight -  Sophie Jordan
Publisher: UK - OUP Oxford
 Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. She longs for the freedom to make her own choices, but when she breaks the 'no flying' rule, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defence is her secret ability to shift into human form. And her rare ability to breathe fire makes her desirable, and important, to the survival of the draki. Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. There she meets gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: he and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slipping away, and if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
 
I seem to be collecting a lot of YA books that I want to read but haven't got round to yet - and here is another that I want to add to the pile! Dragons are guilt pleasure of mine - and I love the combination of coming of age along with shape-shifter dragons.
 
Dragon Haven - Robin Hobb
Publisher: UK - Harper Voyager
The dragon keepers and the fledgling dragons are forging a passage up the treacherous Rain Wild River. They are in search of the mythical Elderling city of Kelsingra, and are accompanied by the liveship Tarman, its captain, Leftrin, and a group of hunters who must search the forests for game with which to keep the dragons fed. With them are Alise, who has escaped her cold marriage to the cruel libertine Hest Finbok in order to continue her study of dragons, and Hest's amanuensis, Bingtown dandy, Sedric. Rivalries and romances are already threatening to disrupt the band of explorers: but external forces may prove to be even more dangerous. Chalcedean merchants are keen to lay hands on dragon blood and organs to turn them to medicines and profit. Their traitor has infiltrated the expedition and will stop at nothing to obtain the coveted body parts. And then there are the Rain Wilds themselves: mysterious, unstable and ever perilous, its mighty river running with acid, its jungle impenetrable and its waterways uncharted. Will the expedition reach their destination unscathed? Does the city of Kelsingra even exist? Only one thing is certain: the journey will leave none of the dragons nor their human companions unchanged by the experience.

I love Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders Trilogy and this is the second book in the Rain Wild's Chronicles that continues the dragons' story. I haven't read The Dragon's Keeper but hopefully when I do I will be able to start on this straight away! :)

So what are you wishing for this week? :)

10 comments:

  1. All of these sound good, especially The Last Dragonslayer- great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting choices, I haven't heard of the Jasper Fforde one before but it does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for Firelight is so beautiful! I'm definitely going to pick that one up. I've just started following your blog, thanks for stopping by this morning and saying hello. It's always lovely meeting new people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wished the Hobb books had an ending in this series..

    Anyway, the library is buying in Firelight, yay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read Firelight either!!!!!

    here's my On My Wishlist: http://bookgeekcentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-my-wishlist-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Firelight on my TBR pile...I really need to get motoring! lol

    Here's mine: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-my-wishlist-49.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a little carried away with requesting books from the library. Usually the books trickle in but the library couriers were super efficient and now I'm buried under books. Come see which book I'm featuring this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! It's dragon-tastic! ;) I think you'll enjoy Firelight. I want the Jasper Fforde one! I don't have that one either. Darn it... you added to my list! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firelight sounds SOOOOOO good! Feehan is great, she gets sort of draggy at parts and some of the alpha males are a bit over the top but they always redeem themselves in the end. It is a very different spin on vampires in her books. I really want to read her shifters series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh--I've already got two Robin Hobb books on my to-read list, but I think I'll have to add a third!

    ReplyDelete