Sunday 29 May 2011

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to! I've been very restrained this week and have only bought two books but I won one and recieved one for review...

Now You See Me - S.J. Bolton
Publisher: UK - Bantam
Despite her fascination with Jack the Ripper, Detective Constable Lacey Flint has never worked a big case or seen a dead body up close. Until now…
As she leaves a south London estate one night, she is horrified to find a woman has been viciously stabbed, right next to Lacey’s car. Thrown headlong into her first murder hunt, Lacey’s quiet life changes overnight. Then Lacey receives a familiar hand-delivered letter, written in red blood, and it is clear the police have a Ripper copycat on their hands. Lacey must be the bait if they are to prevent a second, brutal murder. But can this inexperienced DC outwit a killer whose infamous role model has never been found?...

I was very excited to get in the mail from Transworld as I don't actually get many books to review and this looks great. I love the mystery of Jack the Ripper - still not solved after all these years and SJ Bolton has a great writing style that I really enjoy. Will be starting this very soon!

Corsets and Clockwork - Trisha Telep
Publisher: UK - Robinson Publisher
 Dark fantasies come to life in the newest collection of Steampunk stories, Corsets & Clockwork. Young heroes and heroines battle evils with the help of supernatural or super-technological powers, each individual story perfectly balancing historical and fantastical elements. Throw in epic romances that transcend time, and this trendy, engrossing anthology is sure to become another hit for the fast-growing Steampunk genre! This collection features some of the hottest writers in the teen genre, including: Ann Aguirre, Jaclyn Dolamore, Tessa Gratton, Frewin Jones, Caitlin Kittredge, Adrienne Kress, Lesley Livingston, Dru Pagliassotti, Dia Reeves, Michael Scott, Maria V. Snyder, Tiffany Trent, and Kiersten White.

I won this from Graeme at Graeme's Fantasy Book Reviews . There are so many cool writers in this anthology, I can't wait to start trying some steampunk romance!

The Turning (Blood Ties 1) - Jennifer Armintrout
Publisher: UK - MIRA
I am no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Now I m a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. And of course he s one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse except I m attracted to them both. Drinking blood, living as an immortal demon and being a pawn between two warring vampire factions isn't exactly how I d imagined my future. But as my father used to say, the only way to conquer fear is to face it. So that s what I ll do. Fangs bared.

I quite enjoyed Armintrout's American Vampire so when I spotted this I want to give a whirl.

Bitten In Two - Jennifer Rardin
Publisher: US - Orbit
Jaz Parks here. I. Am. Pissed. Just as Vayl and I arrive in Morocco to secure an ancient artifact, he wakes up calling me by another woman's name. And it's not even a good one. But since any form of argument transforms him into an unholy terror, I'm forced to play along until the gang and I can figure out what kind of power has so vastly altered his perceptions. So it's time for me to do what any well-trained assassin in my position might do. I attack. What follows is a hair-raising, breath-taking bullet train ride to the finish as the crew battles on multiple fronts. I now know what I have to do - I must return to hell one last time.

With the final Jaz Parks out soon I thought it was time I caught up with the series! :-)

So what have you picked up this week? :)

9 comments:

  1. Now You See Me looks brilliant. I find books connected to Jack the Ripper interesting, which is possibly weird. LOL - enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really mixed bag this week- excellent! I like the sound of The Turning. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My copy of Now You See Me has a big eye on the front. Looks a bit creepy but it sounds good. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow great sounding books! I really want to get me some steampunk so i may look into Corsets and Clockwork! cant wait to hear what you think of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read Corsets and Clockwork for a while now! It looks so good! Nice IMM and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corsets and Clockworks sounds so good. Great mailbox! :D

    Giada M.
    http://dr-stravagante.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arminout, interesting, and same with the Telep anthology

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh some great books! Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete