Sunday 22 May 2011

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to!
One of the local book stores had a 3 for 2 offer on with 3 of my wishlist books included, plus the supermarket also had a good offer for the top sellers so how could I resist?
 
The Passage - Justin Cronin
Publisher: UK - Orion
Amy Harper Bellafonte is six years old and her mother thinks she's the most important person in the whole world. She is.
Anthony Carter doesn't think he could ever be in a worse place than Death Row. He's wrong.
FBI agent Brad Wolgast thinks something beyond imagination is coming. It is.
 
  I've been waiting for this to come out in paperback for ages - although it is a mega-doorstop book so I will have to have plenty of posts ready and waiting for you all, before I get started on it...you won't see me for some time once I start on it! :)
 
Black Swan Rising - Lee Carroll
Publisher: UK - Bantam Books 
Jeweller Garet James isn't the same as everyone else.
She just doesn't know it yet.
With her fair share of problems – money (lack of), an elderly father, a struggling business – Garet should be just like any other young, feisty, single New Yorker. If only it was that simple...
It begins with the old silver box that had been soldered shut. All Garet has to do is open it. A favour for the frail owner of the antiques shop. Who wouldn’t help?
Only it’s then that things start to change. Garet doesn't notice at first, the shifts barely perceptible. But the city in which she grew up is beginning to reveal a long-hidden side – darker, and altogether more dangerous: parallel world of chaos, smoke and blood.
And now it’s out of the box...and it has no intention of going back in.
 
I have to be honest, this wasn't on my wishlist, but when I was in the supermarket at the weekend, I picked it up and started reading the first page - I was hooked! :-)
 
Married With Zombies - Jesse Petersen
Publisher: UK - Simon & Schuster
Meet Sarah and David. Sarah and David are like any other couple. They met, they fell in love, but now they're on the verge of divorce. On a routine trip to the marriage counsellor, they notice a few odd things -- the lack of cars on the road, the missing security guard, and the fact that their counsellor, Dr Kelly, is ripping out her previous client's throat. Meet the zombies.Now, Sarah and David are fighting for survival in the middle of the zombie apocalypse. But just because there are zombies, it doesn't mean your other problems go away. And if the zombies don't eat their brains, they might just kill each other.
 
As some of you might have noticed I've fallen for zombies recently - most of my highly rated books all seem to be Zombie related (Feed, Rot & Ruin, Aftertime), so this looks like a lot of fun on the genre!

Goddess of Light - PC Cast
Publisher: UK - Piatkus
Tired of dating egomaniacs, interior designer Pamela Gray has nearly given up on men. She wants to be treated like a goddess - preferably by a god. As she whispers her wish, she unwittingly invokes the goddess Artemis, who has some tricks up her celestial sleeve...Twins Artemis and Apollo have been sent to the Kingdom of Las Vegas to test their mantle. Their first assignment: make Pamela's wish come true. So Artemis volunteers her golden brother. After all, who better than the handsome God of Light to bring love to this lonely woman? It might be a first but here in Sin City, where life is a gamble, both god and mortal are about to bet on a high-stakes game of love.

I'm slowly picking up the full P.C. Cast Goddess Summoning series, but this one really sounds like fun - I love Las Vegas and the greek gods were always my favourite pantheon!

The Desert Spear - Peter V. Brett
Publisher: UK - Harper Voyager
The Deliverer has returned, but who is he?
Arlen Bales, formerly of the small hamlet of Tibbet’s Brook, learnt harsh lessons about life as he grew up in a world where hungry demons stalk the night and humanity is trapped by its own fear. He chose a different path; chose to fight inherited apathy and the corelings, and eventually he became the Painted Man, a reluctant saviour.
But the figure emerging from the desert, calling himself the Deliverer, is not Arlen. He is a friend and betrayer, and though he carries the spear from the Deliverer’s tomb, he also heads a vast army intent on a holy war against the demon plague… and anyone else who stands in his way.

I absolutely adored The Painted Man and have been waiting for this with the impression of patience every since! So excited about this! :-)

So what have you picked up this week?

12 comments:

  1. Great IMM - Will look forward to seeing your thought on Black Swan Rising. Here's mine: http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/2011/05/weekly-updateimm-10.html

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the Passage over the Easter hols. It is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought Black Swan Rising too, it looks really good.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought The Passage as a Kindle edition a while ago but I've avoided it for about 6 months now due to the sheer size of the thing!

    ComaCalm's IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay zombie book, I got one in the mailbox as well. I am writing yours down as I now must read it. Also I think the same cover big cheese at Simon and Schuster designed the cover for Married with Zombies and Original Sin which I read recently. They look really good, I like his/her style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi mel. i'm loving the UK cover of the passage a lot more than the US one. i haven't heard of the other books but they sound really good, especially black swan rising.

    Our IMM if you can stop by.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read The Passage. I just gotta borrow it from a friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Married w/Zombies and I can't wait to read it. I've read Goddess of Light and I really like that series of books. Oh the Black Swan book and the Peter book really look like something I'd enjoy. Great IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Black Swan Rising on a blog a couple of weeks ago and I will admit I was drawn to it only by the cover! It seems so dark and mysterious! The Passage sounds great too! I wouldn't be too daunted by the size of it! I never heard anyone complain that the HP books were too long and everyone seems to get through them in a couple of days! We are reading pros now! :)

    Hope you enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover for Black Swan Rising. I got Married With Zombies this week as well but it might take me a while to get round to reading it. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, great books this week! I do hope you enjoy them all. I have Desert Spear here to read as well... but this is one of those books I HAD to buy and SOOOOO WANT to read, but can't seem to get there with the other books here for review. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhh, Mel.

    I started The Passage back in Aug and still haven't been able to finish it. I just got so bored that nothing was really ever happening. I must give it another go someday.

    Black Swan Rising looks good. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete