Sunday 15 May 2011

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox


The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to! This week I went on a little spending spree with Amazon...
 
Discords Apple - Carrie Vaughn
Publisher: US - Tor 
Evie Walker is a comic book writer who leaves behind a strife-filled Los Angeles to care for her dying father in the smalltown of Hopes Fort, Colo. Evie soon inherits the responsibility of guarding a magical storeroom and its contents as the country becomes hyperdefensive about possible terrorist threats.

 I love the Kitty series but this is the first Carrie Vaughn book I've got outside that series. I love the sound of it though!
 
Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires 3) - Chloe Neill
Publisher: UK - Gollancz
Merit, Chicago's newest vampire, is learning how to play nicely with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene - and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission. Merit has to accept the assignment, even though she knows that she'll probably regret it. And she's not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals - not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire.

I'm a little behind with this series so I think I have to catch up especially with Hard Bitten already out.
 
Mind Games - Carolyn Crane
Publisher: US - Spectra (March 2010)
Mind Games heroine Justine Jones isn't your typical kick-ass type - she’s a hopeless hypochondriac whose life is run by fear. She's lured into a restaurant, Mongolian Delites, by tortured mastermind Sterling Packard, who promises he can teach her to channel her fears. In exchange, she must join his team of disillusionists - vigilantes hired by crime victims to zing their anxieties into criminals, resulting in collapse and transformation. Justine isn't interested in Packard's troupe until she gets a taste of the peace he can promise. Soon she enters the thrilling world of neurotic crime fighters who battle Midcity’s depraved and paranormal criminals. Eventually, though, she starts wondering why Packard hasn’t set foot outside the Mongolian Delites restaurant for eight years. And about the true nature of the disillusionists.
 
This is a book that Jackie from Housewife Blues has been telling me to read for ages so I finally purchased it! Really looking forward to reading it as Carolyn Crane's blog is a great read! :)
 
Divergent - Veronica Roth
Publisher: Harper Collins
In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior’s world, society is divided into five factions – Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a “perfect society.” At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives. On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family’s group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy, but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly “perfect society.” To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.

This has been generating a lot of buzz around the blogosphere and I quite fancy seeing what all the fuss is about!

Die For Me - Amy Plum
Publisher: Atom
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. Suddenly, my sister, Georgia and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent. Mysterious, sexy and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen. Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies...immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
 
Another book which is gathering great reviews and I love the cover - the red and back intertwining is fabulous! :)
 
So what have you picked up this week?
 

 

12 comments:

  1. I hope you love Divergent and Die For Me as much as I did. Both were just so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Divergent it is now one of my favs so far this year. Hope you enjoy it.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got Divergent and Die For Me this week. I loved Divergent but Die For Me got on my nerves...

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting books this week! I've never actually heard of Carrie Vaughn, but Discord's Apple sounds rather interesting!Hope you enjoy Die For Me and Divergent, the books everyone seems to be excited about! Including me! ;)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ZOMG! Divergent and To Die For!!! Have you already read them? Do you already love them like the rest of the planet?

    I need to get those book like yesterday! Enjoy, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you like Mind Games, I sure did :D
    And really good books for you this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books!
    Divergent is getting great reviews and so if Die For Me, which is more amazing than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay... me want Discord's Apple, Divergent and I enjoyed To Die For! I'll be over to collect my books. ;)

    Great IMM this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books this week. I loved Die For Me and I have Divergent on my tbr pile.
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is an exceptional week in books. Well, I'm particial I guess as I want all these and I've already read Mind Games and LOOOOVED it. :) I hope you enjoy the series as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series too :) I haven't read any of her YA books yet though. I bought Voices of Dragons and need to find time to read it.

    Kaity - Bitten Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read Divergent and Die for Me!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-monday-5.html

    ReplyDelete