Monday 30 May 2011

Bite Marks Review

Bite Marks (Jaz Parks 6)
-       Jennifer Rardin
Publisher: Orbit
Jaz is possessed. After biting the neck of a domyter during a forced visit to his territory, she now has unwelcome voices in her head. While fighting for supremacy in her own mind, she finds herself confronted with a near-impossible task: perform perfectly on her next mission or face the unemployment line. This goal wouldn't be unreasonable, except that her newest target, the leader of a security software firm, plans on transporting a boatload of gnome larvae into NASA's deep space communication complex. Why gnomes? Let's just say that their god is a little peeved with humanity and plans on the usual: total annihilation. Joining Jaz and Vayl are their old buddies Cole, Bergman, Cassandra and Jack the malamute, each of whom has his or her own agenda. Between Cassandra's curse, Jaz's literally mental personal demons, and a host of angry gnomes, this mission is definitely going to be more complicated than any that have come before.
I have to confess it’s been a while since I read the first five Jaz Parks books. I think Orbit in the UK stopped publishing them here or something and the only one’s I could find were over priced and over sized US versions (although to be honest it was the price more than the size than annoyed me!). Late last year I found this in a closing down sale of one of my favourite bookstores so I had to pick it up. J 
Bite Marks starts a mere week after the end of the last book with a new mission for Jaz, her vampire partner Vayl and the rest of their jet-setting team. This time the mission is in Australia and they need to stop some fanatical gnomes from infecting a human with their larvae in order for them to hatch in the NASA communications office and disturbing all NASA space flights. One of the joys of the Jaz Parks series is the whacky James Bond-esque villainy plans. Yes, it might sound absurd, but in a world where your best friend is a 500 year old seer (called Cassandra naturally), your spirit guide is looking for a train set and vampire partner can freeze the air with a thought it all works. The action is non-stop, the banter between everyone – friend or foe – is quick and sharp and the story races along as fast as a Londoner commuter who’s spotted the only empty seat on the 5pm train.
My one issue with the book is that everything happens too quickly – there is little time to catch your breathe between mission and personal affairs – and unless I missed it, this whole adventure plays out over the one (very busy) night. However, this is still adrenalin rushing fun complete with complex characters who may not be normal, but definitely make a dysfunctional family.   
Recommended for fans for James Bond and Karen Chance. 7 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. I have book 1 waiting for me and I really should start it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first 2 I got on-line at a great discount last year. I still haven't been able to get to it. Oh this looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd not heard of this series, but funnily enough your's is the second blog I've come across tonight to review one of the books from it! It sounds like a good series, so I may just pick up the first book when I've got a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this is one series I REALLY want to get into. It sounds like one I think I would really love. Thanks for the post. I will have to get these some day here. :)

    ReplyDelete