Sunday 20 March 2011

My Book Haul/In My Mailbox

The Story Siren hosts a weekly meme where bloggers can share what goodies they've purchased/received this week. If you get a chance head over to The Story Siren and check out what everyone is up to!

Spider's Bite - Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Pocket Books
My name is Gin, and I kill people.
They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South -- when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride. Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way -- good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

This has been on my wishlist for so long, I finally felt sorry for it and ordered it from the Book Depository! I'm going purely by other people's recommendations here as I've never seen it in the book shops in the UK - hope it's worth the hype!

Join Me - Danny Wallace
Publisher: Ebury Press 
How could you refuse the polite invitation of begoggled Danny Wallace in Join Me? You don't know what you could be missing out on. It's all about living for the moment in this quirky, seemingly pointless yet addictive narrative. Finding himself with too much time on his hands after quitting his BBC job, Danny revels in "sitting around in his pants" and generally taking a break from the responsibilities of working life. Danny attends the funeral of his great uncle Gallus and finds out that he had set up a commune of like-minded people to escape Swiss small town small-mindedness in the 1940s. Intrigued by this idea, on his return to London Danny places a cryptic advert in the classified ads paper Loot and gets some surprising results.
His Norwegian radio-producer girlfriend Hanne is bemused and infuriated that this has become more than a transient interest; it takes over his life--and hers. The number of "joinees"--people replying to his ad--escalates as word gets out about this new "happy cult", but without a clue about what he wants to achieve, or do with all his newfound friends, Danny has to think fast as dissent rises in the ranks. Now the reluctant leader of a troop of random hopefuls, he maintains their interest with obscure e-mails and watches as his joinees meet and bond.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I loved Danny Wallace's Yes Man and with Friends Like These so another reduced bargain that I couldn't resist! :)

I also received a few of giveaway wins which I'm very excited about! 

As Lie The Dead (Dreg City 2) - Kelly Meding
Publisher: Dell Publishing
 Evangeline Stone, a rogue bounty hunter, never asked for a world divided between darkness and light . . . or the power to die and live again in someone else’s borrowed body. After a murder plot meant to take her out leaves an entire race of shapeshifters nearly extinct, Evy is gnawed by guilt. So when one of the few survivors of the slaughter enlists her aid, she feels duty-bound to help—even though protecting a frail, pregnant shifter is the last thing Evy needs, especially with the world going to hell around her.
Amid weres, Halfies, gremlins, vamps—and increasingly outgunned humans—a war for supremacy is brewing. With shifters demanding justice, her superiors desperate to control her, and an assassin on her trail, Evy discovers a horrifying conspiracy. And she may be the only person in the world who can stop it—unless, of course, her own side gets her first.


I won this in Book Lovers Inc birthday celebrations a couple of weeks ago and it arrived this week signed by Kelly with a couple of pins - so massive thanks to Kelly Meding and all the lovely girls at Books Lovers Inc!

The Paris Secret - Angela Henry
eBook
Less than twenty-four hours after fleeing to Paris, Maya Sinclair is the prime suspect in a brutal murder—and targeted by the real killer. When she's viciously attacked in the gardens of Versailles, Maya barely escapes with her life thanks to sexy French journalist Simon Girard. Simon has been investigating the mysterious death of his brother, an art forger with ties to the woman Maya is suspected of killing. Still healing from heartbreak of his own, Simon reluctantly joins forces with Maya, who has awakened feelings within him he thought long dead. Their search for answers uncovers the existence of a secret society, and puts them on a quest to find a missing crucifix rumored to hold the key to everlasting life. Together, Maya and Simon race through Paris one step ahead of a killer who will do anything to ensure some secrets remain buried forever...

This looks like a fun adventure that I won from Stella over at Ex-Libris for her blogging anniversary. It's quivering - waiting to be read on my kindle!

Tomorrow's Guardian - Richard Denning
Kindle Book
When schoolboy Tom Oakley discovers he can transport himself through time, he draws the attention of evil men who seek to bend history to their will.

I was lucky enough to win this from the awesome Karen at The Slowest Bookworm - and she's got a 200 Follower giveaway going at the moment - check it out! It looks good and I love a time Travel story! :-)

So what have you picked up this week? :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay Spider's Bite! I absolutely adore that series, I can't wait to see what you think! It just has such a dark and intense feel to it, and I like that Gin is kind of a difficult character to like, but you can't help but get attached to her as the story continues:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mailbox. I have As Lie the Dead on my shelf - haven't gotten to it yet. LOL

    Enjoy!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jennifer Estep series is totally awesome - I hope you love it!
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do hope you enjoy all these books! I have Spiders Bite on my shelf too. I want to read it as it sounds great! And I've read Kelly Medings book. :) I did enjoy that one. So hope you do too.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete