Wednesday 2 February 2011

Green Eyed Demon Early Review

Green Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane 3)
-       Jaye Wells
Publisher Orbit - released on 3rd February in UK and 22nd February in US
The clock is ticking for Sabina Kane. With her sister taken by mysterious captors, the Dark Races on the brink of war and a sinister order manipulating everyone behind the scenes, she's really got her work cut out. Using information provided by an unlikely ally, Sabina and her trusty sidekicks - the sexy mage Adam Lazarus and Giguhl, the Mischief demon - head to New Orleans to begin the hunt for her sister. Once there, they must contend with belligerent werewolves, magic-wielding vampires and, perhaps most frightening of all, humans. But before Sabina can save those she cares about, she's got to save herself from the ghosts of her former life. Because the past is haunting her. Literally.

This is the third Sabina Kane book and the strongest so far. I really enjoyed Red Headed Stepchild and Mage in Black but this is my favourite in the series – they just keep getting better with each book. Sabina has come a long from the heartless assassin we first met. Her circle of acquaintances has expanded to include friends, family and lovers. She is still short tempered and prone to punching first and asking questions later, but she has let herself be vulnerable and more trusting than she was (with some people at least!).
In addition to the evolution of Sabina into a more rounded individual, the storyline benefits from having a strong focus. Sabina wants to find and rescue her sister from her grandmother’s clutches. This one aim seemed to tighten the story for me and there was less teaching and waiting around that happened than in the previous stories. This meant there was plenty of action with rock stars, weres and zombies all getting some cool scenes – I especially like the expansion of Sabina Chronic powers which I hope will explored further in the series.
As ever, what makes Sabina such a readable heroine is her sarkiness and her relationships with both Adam and her minion Giguhl are such fun to read. A great addition to Sabina’s friends this time is the fae, Brooks and what he goes through was a heart breaking experience. I hope he re-appears in the next book!
Overall this was a sassy, fun read – the most action packed and exciting adventure yet for Sabina and definitely a series most Urban Fantasy fans should pick up.
Recommended for fans of Patricia Briggs and Devon Monk. 9 out of 10

This is an advanced review courtesy of Orbit and netgallery.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read these so bad. I have the first on my tbr but haven't gotten to it yet. Great review. I am now itching to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, This sounds so good! I goofed up I think. I'm reading Mage in Black now and got to the point about saving Maisie. *eeee* Now I need to get through MIB first. But I absolutely have to have this one. :) And Jaye is such a strong writer. She just has me flipping pages like crazy! :D Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete