Tuesday 28 December 2010

My Favourite Reads of 2010

What a year 2010 has been! I've bought my very first property, started blogging seriously, have met a load of fantastic people online and have read over 150 books. Some of which have been fantastic and some of which are merely ok. Below I've listed in no particular order some of my favourite reads of 2010 - all of which are highly recommended.

A Madness of Angels/The Midnight Mayor - Kate Griffin

These are the first two books following the adventures of Matthew Swift and sorcerer in modern London. Kate Griffin has a fantastic flaw for describing ordinary London and making it magical - as a Londoner myself I adore her version of London, where graffiti can be magic and magician walk among us.


Feed - Mira Grant

The first of the Newsflesh series, set some years after the zombie Apocalypse has occurred. I've never really been fond of zombies before, but this books covers how life adjusts itself to something like zombies and brings in politics and blogging into the world. Plus plenty of action and great characters make this a great read - and something I think bloggers may get even more out as the main characters run a blog!


Chaos Walking Trilogy - The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the The Answer, Of Monsters and Men - Patrick Ness

This was one of the best trilogies I've ever read. The two main characters Todd and Viola have a fantastic relationship and trust that develops across the course of the book. It is very much a coming of age story and the shades of grey that the adult world is filled with. Plus there is a very creepy bad guy, the Mayor who is intent on turning Todd to the dark side. Best YA books ever!

Divine By Mistake - PC Cast

The first of the Divine trilogy by PC Cast is the best in my opinion. I absolutely loved Shannon, a slightly older heroine and how she copes with new world she suddenly finds herself in. Plus I never thought centaurs would be sexy but they are.

Wizard Squared - KE Mills

Comic fantasy with a great serious streak that stops the series from being silly. This book had me on the edge of my seat and in floods of tears by the end. Fantasy with heart, humour and action.


There are plenty of other good reads this year as well, but these are the absolute cream of the crop and you should all rush out right now to read them! :)

So what have you read in 2010 that I should pick up in 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment