Tuesday 30 November 2010

Loose Lips Sink Ships Review

Loose Lips Sink Ships
-      Katrina LaCroix
Kindle Book
*I was sent this book to review by the author*
Avery Leigh will stop at nothing to get her boyfriend, Carter Thomson, back. A high school girl who has no problem saying the first thing that pops into her head, no matter how crazy, she finds Carter has not only stopped taking her calls, he’s started avoiding her altogether. Could it have been something she said? Carter, a sometimes naïve but always gorgeous basketball player, doesn’t mind playing the field if it makes him look good in front of his friends, but he’s really trying to figure out what qualities he wants most in a woman. Unfortunately for Avery, impulsive and outrageous don’t make the list. 
What can I say about this book? There is only one thing on every characters mind – young or old and that is sex. Even the teachers seem to be obsessed by it. If you are easily offended or want some romance then this isn’t the book for you. However, there is also a lot of risqué comedy as well as and this kept me reading with some genuine laugh out loud moments. I wasn’t sure I was going to like it at first – the first two chapters introduce the main characters and neither really endears themselves at first. Both seem to be self-absorbed and I admit I was a little shocked at what they get up to. That never happened when I was at school!  
However, I soon felt sorry for Avery almost despite myself. She doesn’t behave in the most moral way and has little care for anyone else but considering her family life I can see how she became the way she is – and by the end I really wanted her to be ok. I found myself rooting for her despite not liking her very much and I attribute this to Katrina's writing. By taking some horrible people, some outrageous behaviour and sexual comedy she’s created a really amusing book which I couldn’t help enjoy and want to know what happened next! As such I sped through Loose Lips quickly. The big ‘finale’ was set up like one of the scams out of Saved By The Bell TV Series from the early 90s. Unrealistic and improbably but somehow it worked.
Recommended for fans of American Pie films and emotional dramas like The OC – and only if you aren’t easily offended! 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment