Tuesday 28 September 2010

Time Raiders: The Avenger Review

Time Raiders – The Avenger
-          PC Cast
Publisher: UK – Mills & Boon Nocturne
Alex thought communicating with the dead was the worst of her troubles. She couldn’t have been more wrong!
She’s just been sent to 60 AD by a secret army unit to recover missing pieces of a medallion that could change the world.
Alex must use her gifts to entice Druid Caradoc into helping her. Yet soon she’s torn between duty and the man who’s been haunting her dreams. Returning to the present is the noble thing to do, but her heart tells her to stay in this enticing new world of goddesses and warriors.
This was the first Mills and Boon I’ve ever read -  romance isn’t my normal reading genre - and while this wasn’t bad I’m not going to be rushing out to buy any more. The main thing that attracted to this particular Mills & Boon book was the author – PC Cast. I loved her Parthelon series especially the first one – Divine by Mistake. (Small confession – I haven’t read any of the House of Night series yet but Marked in on my TBR pile). To be honest my love of Divine By Mistake is probably want held me back from enjoying The Avenger as much. Basically the story is very similar only instead of being dragged into another world our heroine, Lax is sent back to past where she discovers her affinity for a Goddess and learns to use her powers to over come the bad buys intent on defeating the good guys. And it’s not a bad story, but I have read it before – and I’m sorry to say Divine By Mistake did it better with more characters, more fun and a better emotional journey.
That’s not to say that The Avenger is bad – indeed it is easy to read and the story moves swiftly, but some areas are merely brushed over. Boudica and her daughters were good characters, vastly underused – a great introduction for all three but then they are just forgotten about as Alex focuses on her growing romance with Caradoc. There is a a lot of spirituality in the book, something that I don’t mind but not exactly what I was expecting. To be honest I was disappointed there wasn’t more steamy scenes – this is a Mills & Boon book after all! Overall, this is an perfect beach novel – light and fun but not a story that will linger with you for long. Personally, I’d recommend Divine By Mistake before The Avenger!
Recommended for Chick-Lit fans and Traci Harding fans. 5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment