Saturday 25 September 2010

On My Wish List #6

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I keep track.

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker - Leanna Heiber
Publisher: US Leisure Books (September 2009)
What fortune awaited sweet, timid Percy Parker at Athens Academy? Considering how few of Queen Victoria’s Londoners knew of it, the great Romanesque fortress was dreadfully imposing, and little could Percy guess what lay inside. She had never met the powerful and mysterious Professor Alexi Rychman, knew nothing of the growing shadow, the Ripper and other supernatural terrors against which his coterie stood guard. She knew simply that she was different, haunted, with her snow-white hair, pearlescent skin and uncanny gifts. But this arched stone doorway offered a portal to a new life, an education far from the convent—and an invitation to an intimate yet dangerous dance at the threshold of life and death…

Having recently finished Blameless by Gail Carriger (review here), I'm keen to try some more Victorian style novels. Add in mysterious schools and the supernatural and I'm there!

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts 1) - Stacia Kane
Publisher: UK - Harper Voyager (May 2010)


The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen and constantly attack the living. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Consequently, there are many false claims of hauntings from those hoping to profit.

Enter Chess Putnam, a fully-tattooed witch and freewheeling Debunker and ghost hunter. She's got a real talent for nailing the human liars or banishing the wicked dead. But she's keeping a dark secret from the Church: a little drug problem that's landed her in hot and dangerous water.

Chess owes a murderous drug lord named Bump a lot of money. And Bump wants immediate payback. All Chess has to do is dispatch a very nasty species of undead from an old airport. But the job involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and crossing swords with enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust with a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump's ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah!

Another book I've heard a lot of positive buzz about. When I first read the blurb my initial response was I don't really like drug addicts, but I've read so many positive reviews I think I should Chess a chance!


The Gods of Amyrantha (Tide Lords 2) - Jennifer Fallon
Publisher: Australia - Tor Books (August 2007)
Arkady is in exile in Ramahn, the repressive Torlenian capital, where she makes some unexpected friends and some powerful enemies, all of whom seem bent on using her to wreak vengeance on each other.
Back in Glaeba, the King’s Spymaster, Declan Hawkes, has recruited the canine Crasii, Warlock, to spy on the Tide Lords attempting to steal the Glaeban throne. Warlock, desperate to get back to his pregnant mate, is forced to witness an unthinkable crime.
But things are not going smoothly for Declan, either. The Empress of the Five Realms and her family have turned up in Caelum, and Jaxyn Aranville wants any opposition to his plans for the Glaeban throne out of the way. That includes fabricating charges against Arkady’s husband, Stellan Desean, the Duke of Lebec, which are likely to bring her down, too.
And in the stark deserts of Torlenia, Cayal meets up with the enigmatic Tide Lord, Lukys, who convinces him he’s found a way for the tormented immortal to die. All he has to do is convince some of the other Tide Lords to help him. But with eight thousand years behind him in which to make enemies, that’s not going to be easy…

I love Jennifer Fallon books - her Wolfsblade trilogy was fantastic and I've never read one of her books which has bad characterisation. This is the second of a quartet that I've been desperate for ages but it's sooo difficult to get her books in the UK as she's Australian and not enough of the Aussie books make the journey over here!

So what's on your wish list?




8 comments:

  1. I love the sound of Unholy Ghosts. That's definitely one I want to read. Great wishlist and I hope you get to read these soon.

    Here is my wishlist for this week.

    All the best
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard many good things about Unholy Ghosts. Hope you get it and your other books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unholy Ghosts must be the UK cover, like it better than the US and it is also one I want to read... Hope you get all your picks Mel!

    My Wish List

    jackie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Jennifer Fallon in a couple years. I did love her books though. I might have to check into how much she has written since I last read her. I hope you get all the books on your list. Check out what is On My Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like they are keepers!! I hope you get a hold of it soon!!! I haven't read Fallon but have heard good things!

    Feel free to check out mine at Addicted To Romance

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unholy Ghosts really looks interesting... Love the cover on that one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get your books. Here's what I'm wishing for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely have Unhold Ghosts on my TBR pile too. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete