Saturday 11 September 2010

On My Wish List #4

This is a meme from Book Chick City. There are so many books out there that I want to read that this is the only way I keep track! This week has a wolf/hound theme...

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: UK Scholastic (October 2009)


Grace is fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house; one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. Every winter, she watches him but every summer, he disappears. Sam leads two lives. In winter he stays in the frozen woods, with the protection of the pack.n summer, he has a few precious months to be human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. When Grace and Sam finally meet they realize they can't bear to be apart. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human - or risk losing himself, and Grace, for ever

I've heard a lot of positive buzz about this book on line and would like to give a go myself - maybe I'm just bowing to peer pressure but I want in on the 'Twilight with werewolves' craze!


Must Love Hellhounds - Anthology
Publisher: US Berkley (October 2009)
In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes... and everything bites. Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer's realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell. Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of non- lethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bloodsuckers, in Nalini Singh's Angels' Judgment. Find out why the giant three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades has left the underworld for the real world-and whose scent he's following-in Ilona Andrews's Magic Mourns. Embark on a perilous search for the kidnapped niece of a powerful vampire alongside her blind- and damn sexy-companion and a hellhound in Meljean Brook's Blind Spot.
These four novellas by today's hottest paranormal authors will have hellhound lovers everywhere howling.

I have to admit I want this more for the Ilona Andrews short story and Charlaine Harris is always a good read. I've not read anything by Nalini Singh or Meljean Brook but anthologies like this are a good way to explore authors I've not heard off before.

Wolfsangel - M.D. Lachlan
Publisher: Gollancz (Paperback March 2011)
The Viking King Authun leads his men on a raid against an Anglo-Saxon village. Men and women are killed indiscriminately but Authun demands that no child be touched. He is acting on prophecy. A prophecy that tells him that the Saxons have stolen a child from the Gods. If Authun, in turn, takes the child and raises him as an heir, the child will lead his people to glory. But Authun discovers not one child, but twin baby boys. Ensuring that his faithful warriors, witness to what has happened, die during the raid Authun takes the children and their mother home, back to the witches who live on the troll wall. And he places his destiny in their hands. And so begins a stunning multi-volume fantasy epic that will take a werewolf from his beginnings as the heir to a brutal viking king, down through the ages. It is a journey that will see him hunt for his lost love through centuries and lives, and see the endless battle between the wolf, Odin and Loki - the eternal trickster - spill over into countless bloody conflicts from our history, and over into our lives.
 
I like a bit of historical fiction and it seems strange that no-one has combined Vikings and werewolves before (too my knowledge) - can't wait for this in paperback! Hardback is too much like weight lifting on my daily commute...
 
So what are you wishing for?
 

6 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about Shiver, it is sitting on my shelf, but I haven't got around to reading it yet - hope you get your hands on a copy soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading Shiver (and Linger). Hope you get these added to your collection soon :)

    Here's my wishlist for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Shiver yet. I have it waiting for me to read. I love the UK cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shiver was awesome!! Good choices!! Just added Wolf Angel to my wishlist!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shiver's on my wishlist too. Here's what I'm wishing for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wolfsangel looks really, really good! I hope you get all of your books soon!

    ReplyDelete