Thursday 16 September 2010

Feed Review

Feed (Newsflesh 1)
- Mira Grant

Publisher: UK – Orbit

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will get out, even if it kills them.

I am now a zombie convert! No, I’m not going to try and eat your brains or shamble around moaning softly (actually I do the shambling already, but the brains thing is definitely out!). I’ve read books about vampires, werewolves, witches, psychics, telepaths and other miscellaneous supernatural creatures for years but I’ve avoided zombies up until now. Partly because they weren’t that many on the shelves I liked the look off and partly because they didn’t interest me. The other creatures explore humanity and what it means to be human but zombies tend not to have much to say about the human condition. I will hold my hand up and say I was wrong. And if you’re not convinced than I recommend Feed by Mira Grant.

Feed isn’t really about zombies but it is set 26 years after the zombie rising became a reality and George Ramano’s horror films became survival guides. The world didn’t end. We learned to adapt. The zombies and the way world is portrayed after this disaster is superbly done. A lot of thought has gone into the world and you can see the basis for it all is based in our world today – everything from the rise of blogging (something I can now relate to!), the fear of terrorism and the giving up of freedom for safety.

It’s not just the world building that is great but also the characters - Shaun, George and Buffy are relatable and I could emphasise with them easily. Add in a political race and conspiracy and I was hooked. I didn’t want to get of the train on my way home so I could read what happened next. There are some great action scenes involving zombies as well as some thought provoking musings on the truth and family. The ending is very moving and I had gulp back tears. This is one of the best books I've read this year and I highly recommend that you give it- and zombies - a try!

Thanks to Graeme at Graeme Fantasy Book Review for pulling my name out of a hat and Orbit for sending me a copy. I can’t wait for the next in the series!
Recommended for everyone! 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment