Monday 27 September 2010

Book Discussion - What books do you re-read?

This post is inspired by Tia Nevett’s recent visit to Fantasy Cafe where she shared books that have touched her over the years. As this is something that I explore in my semi-regular feature, Books Remembered, I pondered the next step – if you like a book a lot what do you do?

I tend to re-read it. A lot. There are a selection of books that I pick up on a semi regular basis and have lost track of the number of times I’ve read them. So I thought I’d share with them with you (in no particular order).

1. Sati -  Christopher Pike
Great story and philosophy that I first read as a teen and have never forgotten. I may have raved about in Books Remembered recently...

2. Watership Down - Richard Adams
My pet rabbit was never as clever or cuddly as Fiver or Hazel! I loved the film and iot got me into reading at a young age

3. The Ancient Future – Traci Harding
Time Travel, romance, action, druids and ancient gods – what more do you need?

4. Bitten – Kelley Armstrong
My first Urban Fantasy novel – it drew me into a new genre!

5. Kushiel’s Dart -  Jacqueline Carey
Historical fantasy in a very different Europe. Beautifully written!

6. The Vampire Lestat – Anne Rice
My first vampire crush! I've discussed this at length previously

7. Codex Alera – Jim Butcher
Okay, technically it’s a series but it is so well done with so many great
characters and a great over-arching storyline

8. Wild Magic – Tamora Pierce
I first read this as a teen but I still love it and try to read it and her other Tortall books every few years, I always purchase her new books each year.

9. Obernewtyn Chronicles – Isobelle Carmody 
Please can the final two books be released soon!! I became addicted through the Sci-Fi books as a teen as think the books have matureed as the main the character and I have.

10. The Eyre Affair – Jasper Fforde
This books is so funny and original! Everyone should read the Thursday Next books

What do you think of my selection? Do you disagree? What book have you read more than once? Are there certain books that you pick up every year or two and re-read gaining a different insight each time? Or does it feel like a visit to old friends? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

7 comments:

  1. You're right everyone should read The Eyre Affair!

    As for books I re-read myself? Well I don't so much anymore, I used to re-read pretty much anything and get rid of stuff I knew I would never re-rea, now I mainly read new stuff. I haven't re-read a book all year. If I was to choose some though:

    1) The Harry Potter Series
    2) His Dark Materials series
    3) Birdsong
    4) The Time Traveller's Wife
    5) Captain Correli's Mandolin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have The Time Traveller's Wife on my to be Re-Read pile for this year but just haven't got round to it yet...I have a habit of buying new books too often!
    I read Birdsong years ago but not for a while...perhaps that's one to add to the pile as well!
    I've never rad Captain Correli's Madolin - the film put me off a little - is it worth picking up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. It takes a little getting into (I almost gave up on the first chapter) but once I got into it I was hooked :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add to the list! ;) There are just so many great books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with No. 8, but expand it to include the whole Daine series. I also always go back to the Wizards series by Diane Duane and anything by Diana Wynne Jones (especially Hexwood & Howl's Moving Castle). Oh, and Pride & Prejudice obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love most of the Tortal books as well and Daine is my favourite heroine!

    I remember reading a Diane Wynne Jones when I was younger about a photo and a friend that the main character forgot about...sound familar? It was very good but I don't know what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. there aren't many books I reread again and again but there are a few - I have read twilight a couple of times, harry potter quite a few times and uglies several times!

    ReplyDelete