Thursday 19 August 2010

The To-Be-Read Pile #1

My TBR bookcase
I love books. I always have a book on the go and have a huge To-Be-Read pile. Seriously. I have a full bookcase dedicated to my TBR pile - I've even had to start double shelving them. It's recently been brought to my attention that I have been increasing the frequency with which I purchase books but my reading speed hasn't kept apace. Not that I'm a slow reader - two/three books a week isn't slow, but when Waterstone's has a constant 3 for 2, new releases are price promoted in the supermarkets and the wide choice at Amazon, I can't resist reaching for my purse. Part of the trouble is that I tend to read across genres - I can't read too many of the same type of book in one go without feeling the need to try something completely different. So following Amanda from Floor to Ceiling Books example, I decided to stop buying books at least for a bit as I try to make my way through my backlog of TBR books. But where do I start?

Here, I've narrowed my soon to be read pile down to a handful that I want to get through in the next couple of weeks. I started reading Shutter Island this afternoon purely on the basis that I loved the film. (It was one of the few films that got me thinking this year and I heartily recommend if you get the chance!) But what should I read next? Some cool London UF with Matthew Swift in The Midnight Mayor? Finish Karen Miller's different Godspeaker trilogy with the Hammer of God? Give into the best seller pressure and try Dan Brown's Da Vinci follow up? Or start a new UF series with Blue Diablo? Decisions, decisions. And like deciding which dish to try at a restaurant I can only hope for a delicious suprise.
The To-Be-Read Soon Pile

No comments:

Post a Comment