Thursday 26 August 2010

Shutter Island Review

Shutter Island

- Dennis Lehane

Publisher: UK – Bantam Books


US Marshal Teddy Daniels has come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to find an escaped murderer named Rachel Solando. As a killer hurricane bears down on the island, the investigation deepens and the questions mount. How has a barefoot woman escaped from a locked room? Who is leaving them clues in the form of cryptic codes? And what really goes on in Ward C? The closer Teddy gets to the truth, the more elusive it becomes. And the more he begins to believe that he may never leave Shutter Island. Because someone is trying to drive him insane...

I picked up Shutter Island because I saw the film earlier this year and enjoyed the psychological twists and turns. It has remained one of the best films I’ve seen this year. Having seen film I can’t really judge the book as a separate entity. The film was a very faithful to the book with many scenes lifted straight from the book. As such I felt that I had read the book previously. However, I did enjoy the book – it had a creepy, spooky atmosphere and the more I read the more I actually appreciated Leonardo Di Capiro’s portrayal of Teddy. Teddy is a haunted character – haunted by his war experience, by the death of his wife and this colours the whole book. There were some genuine creepy moments – the parts set in Ward C made me shiver. I really wanted Teddy and Chuck to solve the mystery of Shutter Island – even knowing the ending from the film.

This was my first Dennis Lehane book and I think I will try a few more. Recommend for Jeffery Deaver and James Pattinson fans. 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment