Sunday 19 April 2009

Reading Habits

This is a fun questionnaire I've copied off facebook about my reading habits. I've tried not to repeat myself too much in my answers!

1. What author do you own the most books by?
Hmm, probably Dean Koontz because he’s written so many over the years and I started reading them in my teens.

2. What book do you own the most copies of?
I’ve been trying to cut down on my repeat books. As most of friends know I’m frequently giving away copies of books I somehow manage to get 2 copies off. At the moment I have 2 copies of Twilight by Stephanie Meyer but only because I have’t got round to posting it to the right person yet!

3. What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Probably the Vampire, Lestat from Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles – loved him since I was 16! I’m also fond of Harry Dresden and Brian Alexander from the Ancient Future trilogy.

4. What book have you read more than any other?
Watership Down has been read so many times I can’t count - as has the Vampire Chronicles. Vampires and rabbits – strange mix!

5. What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Probably the Island of Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell – loved that book so much! No wonder I like being on my own so much...

6. What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
The Anvil of Ice by Michael Scott Rohan – really slow, boring fantasy. I’ve blocked it from my mind that I can’t even remember if anything happened in it.

7. What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
The one I most enjoyed reading at the time is probably The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, but the book I can’t get out my head is The Ancient Future by Traci Harding.

8. If you could tell everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde – but I’ve already forced lots of people to read it!

9. What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Knowing I will be hated as most people love it but I have to say, The Lord of Rings – Just can’t seem to get past the first book. It takes 200 to leave the bloody shire!

10. Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
Sadly I’ve never read either but I would have to lean towards French as I loved the musical Les Miserables. Actually, I’ve readu all the Musketeer book by Dumas so definitely French

11. Shakespeare, Milton or Chaucer?
Shakespeare – but it was meant to be seen not studied to death!

12. Austen or Eliot?
I’ve never read any Austen but I was forced to read Silas Marner by Eliot for GCSE and pretty much hated the book so I’ll say Austen

13. What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
I lack a lot on the classics such as Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice and I’ve never read a single Dickens novel...

14. What is your favorite novel?
Watership Down – Richard Adams – brilliant despite my general hatred of rabbits.

15. Play?
Woman in Black – scary!

16. Poem?
The Listeners by Walter De La Mere

17. Essay?
Uh...don’t really read any.

18. Short Story?
Strange Highways by Dean Koontz – all about second chances

19. Non Fiction
I don’t read a lot of non-fiction but one I enjoyed was The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir

20. Graphic Novel?
Again not a big graphic novel reader but I did read the death of Superman when I used to work at the library and things were slow.

21. Science Fiction?
Time Ships by Stephen Baxter

22. Who is your favorite writer?
Kelley Armstrong but I still love Jasper Fforde, Jim Butcher, Isobelle Carmody and Traci Harding.

23. Who is the most over rated writer alive today?
Dan Brown probably – he’s books were ok but I’ve read lots with similar stories before he came along

24. What are you reading right now?
Made to Be Broken by Kelley Armstrong

25. Best Memoir?
Yes Man by Danny Wallace. Forget the film (that’s just Jim Carey pulling faces) – the book is great fun and inspiring!

26. Best History?
Alison Weir’s Elizabeth the Queen

27. Best mystery or Noir?
Jeffery Deavers Licoln Rhyme series – CSI before CSI started!

28. Best fantasy?
The Live Ships by Robin Hobb

29. Best Horror?
Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice or It by Stephen King

30. Best Fiction?
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

No comments:

Post a Comment