Saturday 4 April 2009

Men of the Otherworld Review


Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Series – Book 10)
- Kelley Armstrong


Publisher: UK - Orbit

Why I picked it up: I loved Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld series. They were the book s that first got me into the ‘Urban Fantasy’ style books. She writes a different twist on the traditional werewolves/witches/demons/vampire world that is accessible and lots of action. This is the first Otherworld book narrated entirely by the men of that world (hence the title) and for follower of her website (www.kelleyarmsrong.com ) some of these stories are familiar. They used to be free on the site but now published in book format with proceeds going to Kelley’s favourite charity (World Literacy of Canada). Not being a fan of reading on-line (it hurts my eyes and there’s nothing like the feel of book in your hands!) I’d only browsed the stories in the past so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. Plus one of the four stories is brand new for the book.

Back Blurb: I don't remember the first time I changed into a wolf. One night I passed out, and awoke to find my body covered in yellow fur. My brain was beyond reacting. It took this in its stride, as it had everything else in my new life. I got to my feet and went in search of food.
As a curious and independent six-year-old, Clayton didn't resist the bite - he asked for it. But as a lone child werewolf his life is under constant threat. So when enigmatic Pack member Jeremy Danvers saves him, Clayton is determined to protect his adoptive father, no matter what the cost. So begins this gripping collection of four tales chronicling the bloody feuds of the American Pack, and the coming of age of Clay Danvers, a very powerful - and very singular - werewolf.

What I thought: Being a fan I loved getting some back ground into the werewolf pack and Clay’s upbringing. What Kelley always seems to do with her stories is remind you that this story you’re reading is just an episode of those characters lives – they have a past (that doesn’t necessarily impact on the present unlike some characters), plans for the future – they have a life. This book covers some of that past only mentioned in passing before in other books concentrating especially on the life of Jeremy Danvers & his adopted son, Clayton. It’s written in 4 stories covering Jeremy’s conception written in third person but focusing on his father Malcolm, Jeremy’s discovery and ‘taming’ of Clay from Clay’s point of view and leading into the third,, Jeremy’s rise to Alpha of the pack. The final story (and the new one for the book) focuses on a weekend with Jeremy and his girlfriend in New York, which just shows that eh past never stays buried. I liked all the stories especially the Clay ones not because he’s one of my favourite characters but it answers a lot of question on how a pack of American werewolves is run and the moral dilemmas between wolf and human.

Recommended for: Fans of the otherworld and urban fantasy series. If you’re new to the world you could do worse than start here but I’d recommend you start at the beginning with Bitten

Rating:
9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment